Security Installer Community

Cctv Footage On Website

Guest Laboratory313

arnt flash video and mpeg4 closly related or is flash h264 based? Either way if you limit the bandwidth it will go blocky on high activity scenes, i assume flash has an ediable interframe count? but i must confess to knowing little about it

AFAIK they are all pretty close relatives, though VP6 is proprietary secret stuff. Your point about blocky video is just why I asked. I am wondering if Dave would trade the difference in quality with the much longer recording times and higher frame rates a DVR with this compression technology may offer.

well codecs are a whole seperate subject but im personally dead against the recent trend of long duration highish framerate high compression dvr's

to me 3-5 fps is fine and id rather have 2 weeks og good quality images rather than 6 months of ok ish images

as someone said to me before its security not video confererence and really 2 fps is enough. But i must admit i like realtime live views, just cant see the point. Plus if you use tours then mpeg4 dvrs (using current low bandwidth) are pretty poor. Always been a jpeg man myself but agree that mpeg has its place for transmission.

Some H.264 codecs can do pretty smart things - like up the bandwidth when motion increases. I am currently experimenting with a DVR card that does this - an indoor camera on a scene with very little movement can squeeze a whole days recording at D1 25fps down to less than 1Gb. An outdoor camera (or a cheap noisy one) that picks up part of a garden area can use 12 Gb per day on a wet and windy day.

Agree with you on the quality issue

hi all,

could have started a new thread, but it seemed at home on this one to me.

recently i got a request from a horse stables, they wanted to have live video on their web site of the CCTv camera images to allow clients to view their horses being trained and for new clients to view and be attracted to their sevices. the management is toyally above board and to connect is no problem with Geovision Kit, just stream it and you don't even need a fixed IP.

then i began to think a bit more deeply about the implications, and about 3 little letters - DPA and then personal privacy. most professionals know under recent legislation no one can review CCTv footage legally if your not a registered operator, so would the client be in contravention if you allow viewing over an unrestricted live multi web cam type service?

from another thread many will know i am a little 'hyper' with child protective measures, and loads of kids love horses and ponies, so what a nice possible source of images for those creeps to get some 'jollies' from.

because of my fears i advised against it, and to post stills on the web site.

so whats your view, was i being too cautious and seeing pervs under every rock, or bang on the money?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Evening Alan,

It appears that the law has not caught up with the current technology so is often unclear or simply has never considered current possibilities. We will only be sure after a case goes to law and sets a precedent.

However, many local authorities now request parents permission for schools to use video and stills of children on their websites, in school publications - even school photographs.

This is a precautionary measure to protect themselves from potential prosecution.

For the situation you describe they need the permission of parents before putting this stuff on the web if they want to avoid potential prosecution under Human Rights legislation.

As a parent, I would not give that permission if a child could be easily identified on the web feed.

Evening Alan,

It appears that the law has not caught up with the current technology so is often unclear or simply has never considered current possibilities. We will only be sure after a case goes to law and sets a precedent.

However, many local authorities now request parents permission for schools to use video and stills of children on their websites, in school publications - even school photographs.

This is a precautionary measure to protect themselves from potential prosecution.

For the situation you describe they need the permission of parents before putting this stuff on the web if they want to avoid potential prosecution under Human Rights legislation.

As a parent, I would not give that permission if a child could be easily identified on the web feed.

hi cutwitt,

and evenning to you too, thats the lines i worked on, but it greives me greately that societies lice prevent me as a proud and hopelesly doting grandad from recording what to me are very precious moments. i can't video the school christmas concert, i can't video the football matches unless i get everyone atending to sign a permission sheet, even then how can i be sure an absent perrant will not object?

i'm even watchful about using the cam corder on the beach for a family picnic incase a strangers kids get into frame and a sensative perrant decides i've infringed on their human rights to anonimity.

:ranting:

regs

alan

no you werent being to cautious i would have advised the same.

then theres no comback on you or the school that is training them. and perverts dont see children live on the web

hi CJTELECTRICS

thanks for you support, your comments are in line with my thoughts regarding good advice to aclient as the 'proffessional'.

i have discussed this issue in the past with my oldest son (who is a school teacher as is his wife), to me the counter argument is to be PC should we then board up every window in every building? perves can peer out of/into them to gaze upon and/or film children, and they won't worry about any permission needed or getting sheets of paper signed, so where do we draw the line with this?

with camera phones becomming the norm, and given the latest also take reasonable video clips, it seems the only ones really affected and penalised by theses supposed controls are the innocent bonifid'e users.

before anyone jumps on me, i'm not advocating we should ignore the laws of the land, just venting my angst at some ill thought out legislation how ever well intentioned.

regs

alan

Archived