Security Installer Community

Cat 5 Wiring

cheekygrommet

Hi there, this is my first posting!. I am about to have extensive work done to my house and thought this would be the ideal time to install an alarm system. I am considering a Gardtech panel and extender to give me 12 zones. I was going to use screened alarm cable throughout . However a friend suggested that CAT5 cable can be used and will allow me to install IP cameras if I so wish. Does anyone have advice on the use of CAT5 for alarm wiring?

thanks in advance :hmm:

it 'can' be used but i think your original ideas was better. While you can run ip cams down your cat5, it will be dedicated to this you wont be able to run your cam and your alarm down the same cable.

I would advice you use intruder alarm cable for intruder alarms and cat 5 network cable for network devices

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Do you think it is worthwhile running spare CAT5 in parallel now while I have easy access?

Definitely, even if you don't bother terminating it. Cable is cheap.

Based on my experience of flood-wiring offices (OK, I know it's a home) you just NEVER have enough data sockets or power outlets after a year or two. Or they're in the wrong place. :cry:

yes, but it will be a while yet before movement sensors are replaced by cams!

Also i dont know of a grade 1 even vmd device

You can run your cat 5's and i have run them all over my house. But i use them for video streaming etc.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

yes, but it will be a while yet before movement sensors are replaced by cams!

Also i dont know of a grade 1 even vmd device

You can run your cat 5's and i have run them all over my house. But i use them for video streaming etc.

James

As you say cable is cheap so I think I'll run the CAT5 as well. Thanks for the advice B)

Archived