Security Installer Community

Zone Mode Options? What Do They Mean?

Guest SnowBum

Guest SnowBum

Hello, i'm new here so be easy on me! :)

I've been burgled in the last week and i've now fitted myself a wired burglar alarm, this is more as a deterrant and to make the misses feel safe but i've tried to be thorough. I'll explain what i've got:-

1 x Nexus8 Alarm panel and remote keypad.

1 x Aztech 2000 bell box

4 x Normal PIRs

2 x Pet Immune PIRs

2 x Door reed switches

1 x window shock sensor

On order:-

2 x 2 way sound bombs (wiring all in place ready for fitting)

This is all wired into 7 zones:-

Zone 1 - Door reed switch on front door

Zone 2 - Door reed switch on back door

Zone 3 - Pet Immune PIRs in back room and kitchen (area that cats are in over night at winter)

Zone 4 - Shock sensor on Kitchen window (vunerable due to very secluded location, where burler got in)

Zone 5 - PIR in living room

Zone 6 - PIR covering hallway

Zone 7 - PIRs on landing & in back bedroom (have a flat roof extension outside the window)

Remote keypad is in a cupboard under the stairs, have to enter front door into hallway to access it upon entering house.

I've done a walk through test of the house and have confirmed that all zones are detecting ok. I have tested the internal sounders, the external sounder & the strobe, again all OK.

Now onto what i'm a bit confused about. The settings for each zone. In the full alarm mode i'll set all zones to "alarm" apart from Zone 6 & Zone 1 which i'll set to "Entry/Exit" and set the delays accordingly in the parameters.

For the Part Set 1 & Part Set 2 i've obviously got to be a bit more careful with settings. I understand what "alarm" & "Entry/Exit" settings mean but what about "Route" & "Final Door" ..................... what are those settings for? Then Nexus 8 engineer guide is great for most things but it doesn't give an explanation of what those settings are for.

Someone care to give me an explanation? :unsure:

Thanks for any replies! B)

but what about "Route" & "Final Door" ..................... what are those settings for?

i've never touched one (thank the lord)

"route" will a sensor you walk through to turn if off after opening the door (hall pir)

"final door" when closed after setting the alarm (you outside) it will set after a couple of seconds rather than waiting for the full exit timer...

"route" will a sensor you walk through to turn if off after opening the door (hall pir)

"final door" when closed after setting the alarm (you outside) it will set after a couple of seconds rather than waiting for the full exit timer...

So the first zone you trigger on coming home (front door?) must be set as Entry/Exit.

Any other zones you have to go through to get to the keypad (Hall?) must be Walk or they will set the alarm off.

Similar idea when part set. First to trigger must be E/E and any you have to pass through to unset must be "walk".

And just a thought; if you have a night-time part-set is there a possibility of a member of the family coming home after the alarm is set? Opening the front door might wake everyone up if you don't allow for that. :hmm:

1 x Nexus8 Alarm panel and remote keypad.

1 x Aztech 2000 bell box

4 x Normal PIRs

2 x Pet Immune PIRs

2 x Door reed switches

1 x window shock sensor

9 detectors and 8 zones.

Time for a rethink.

cheers

Guest SnowBum
What are you going to do if zone 3 or zone 7 false alarms? Which PIR are you going to replace?

If it's a repeated false alarm, i'd drop one out and leave it a day or two. If there are no false alarms i'd put it back in and drop the other out of the circuit to see if it false alarms. I'm an industrial control systems engineer by trade working on CNC machine tools. I'm used to far more complex wiring that this alarm system. Because the PIRs are really just 2 seperate control circuits (the tamper one is series and the alarm one is parallel) it's easy to remove one or the other from the circuit. Why do you seem to think i should only have one PIR to a zone? The engineers installation guide booklet clearly shows that you can put 2 PIRs in one zone.

I'm just not familiar with the parameter descriptions. I don't like just guessing at things when it comes to parameter settings, in my line of work if you guess at parameters you could end up causing 10s of thousands of pounds worth of damage to an expensive CNC machine tool.

Thanks to all for clearing up what those parameter settings mean. I now know exactly how i need to program the contol panel! B)

If it's a repeated false alarm, i'd drop one out and leave it a day or two. If there are no false alarms i'd put it back in and drop the other out of the circuit to see if it false alarms. I'm an industrial control systems engineer by trade working on CNC machine tools. I'm used to far more complex wiring that this alarm system. Because the PIRs are really just 2 seperate control circuits (the tamper one is series and the alarm one is parallel) it's easy to remove one or the other from the circuit. Why do you seem to think i should only have one PIR to a zone? The engineers installation guide booklet clearly shows that you can put 2 PIRs in one zone.

I'm just not familiar with the parameter descriptions. I don't like just guessing at things when it comes to parameter settings, in my line of work if you guess at parameters you could end up causing 10s of thousands of pounds worth of damage to an expensive CNC machine tool.

Thanks to all for clearing up what those parameter settings mean. I now know exactly how i need to program the contol panel! B)

Techincally you can have 10 devices on one zone, its how to identify the tripped one is the trick.

Your obviously capable of doing an install, but the little minor things your not aware of will no doubt in time cause you to ask us another question, feel free to do so. But when you get back, told you so as a first reply, be gracious enough to appologise.

cheers

I'm an industrial control systems engineer by trade working on CNC machine tools. I'm used to far more complex wiring that this alarm system.

Horrid little plastic box where each zone has six terminals for each little wire ;) its designed for DIY eg the skill been removed

in my line of work if you guess at parameters you could end up causing 10s of thousands of pounds worth of damage to an expensive CNC machine tool.

Pretty much the same here :whistle:

Guest SnowBum
Techincally you can have 10 devices on one zone, its how to identify the tripped one is the trick.

Your obviously capable of doing an install, but the little minor things your not aware of will no doubt in time cause you to ask us another question, feel free to do so. But when you get back, told you so as a first reply, be gracious enough to appologise.

cheers

Didn't mean to offend, just saying that i couldn't see why i shouldn't put 2 PIRs in some zones. I'm used to fault finding on circuits (its what i do for a living) so it's something i'm prepared to do if i have a fault in one of those zones.

I'm aware of a few of the minor things, such as making sure that where the cable enters a PIR is totally sealed. I know that spiders can get through the most tiny gap and will cause havock with a PIR. What other minor things are there to consider?

If a zone is still in fault when the panel rearms it invariably locks the faulty zone out, in your case two zones would effectivly be omited on auto rearm.

Regards, Dave.

Archived