Security Installer Community

Monitored Or Auto Dialer?

I am just moving into my first house and want to fit a good alarm system - the alarm in the house is a wire free one with not very much cover. Do I install a system with an auto dialer or go the whole hog and get a monitored one fitted? If I go for the monitored option can someone give me an idea of price for install and ongoing monitoring - the house is a three bed mid terrace in stockton on tees - will need 4 x PIR's, 1 x Door contact and 1 x Panic Button.

Also whats the opinion autodialer virus monitored.

Thanks

Steve

Guest Alarm Guard

First of all you need to consider what would happen if the alarm activates. Would there be someone around to respond? If so, who? and what would they do?

Lot's of people go for an alarm which communicates and then don't think about the next step untill they are notified of an alarm activation when they are 200 miles from home and just about to board a plane to Florida.

Paul

First of all you need to consider what would happen if the alarm activates. Would there be someone around to respond? If so, who? and what would they do?

Lot's of people go for an alarm which communicates and then don't think about the next step untill they are notified of an alarm activation when they are 200 miles from home and just about to board a plane to Florida.

Paul

I live alone but my brother has agreed to be a "key holder" for me......however if the house gets burgled and we are say both at work - him 50 miles away and me 15 miles away maybe fully monitored would be the best option. I have also thought of giving my mum a key but wouldn't want here going there on her own unless we knew if the alarm was confirmed / unconifrmed so I guess its a monitored alarm I need.....................NB with regards to this would I need two PIR's in my living room so if someone broke in through my french doors and did not enter any other room a confirmed signal would be sent? Opinions please...........

NB with regards to this would I need two PIR's in my living room so if someone broke in through my french doors and did not enter any other room a confirmed signal would be sent? Opinions please...........

Difficult to to say without a plan of your living room to look at but wouldnt your french doors be contacted :hmm:

depends on risk and site layout but usually on a low risk domestic you would fit 1 sensor in the lounge. If you feel you need 2 you know your property and whats in it a lot better than we do. 2 per room is always best but you cant use 2 pir's and overlap but your prof installer will tell you this

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

depends on risk and site layout but usually on a low risk domestic you would fit 1 sensor in the lounge. If you feel you need 2 you know your property and whats in it a lot better than we do. 2 per room is always best but you cant use 2 pir's and overlap but your prof installer will tell you this

???? I was under the impression that you could use two pirs provided they were on different circuits and of different technology - ie one a dual tech?

If this is not right the alarm company we use at work needs to be told lol (not mentioning any names)

What would i look at paying for a monitored system?

monitored systems with 2 movemenst sensors start quite low mate lol

Differing techs are ok ie pir and dt or 2 x dt. We always use dt's throughout but thats my choice.

Price is realtive do you need grade 2 or 3. we couldnt design a system without seeing your place and doing a risk assesment im afraid

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

hi,

we will all struggle to advise you properly, thats the purpose of a visit by an professional installer.

several things are assesed before an attempt to guide you is made, like is your house a terraced 2 up 3 down, detached or perhaps in an isolated position. overlooked or private, what value is held within, if you keep shotguns, have a workshop or model trainset and so on.

along with your concerns as to you own personal protection, the above all affect how much detection is fitted and what signalling is recommended, this is all balanced against your budget, as no point in costing out

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived