Security Installer Community

Getting Rid Of Norton

Monteey

Im trying to finally rid my computer of various norton pieces of software, firewall and antivirus, and seem to remember having major problems actually getting rid of every trace of it.

From what i remember there was a piece of software downloadable from symantec themselves that will clean all remnants of it off the pc in preparation for getting some decent antivirus software/firewalls etc

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me if i can get rid totally without this sofware as im keen to wipe any trace of it off my pc

cheers

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Im not sure Mark on the software removal tool.

Firstly I used The removal feature in the norton programme launch folder group.

Then I used "add and remove" programms, rebooted PC then searched the C drive and manually deleted the empty norton folder group, a defrag seemed to tidy up the rest by sorting out the programms with missing headers and making the disc area usable again.

Im trying to finally rid my computer of various norton pieces of software, firewall and antivirus, and seem to remember having major problems actually getting rid of every trace of it.

From what i remember there was a piece of software downloadable from symantec themselves that will clean all remnants of it off the pc in preparation for getting some decent antivirus software/firewalls etc

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me if i can get rid totally without this sofware as im keen to wipe any trace of it off my pc

cheers

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Completely unhelpful and pointless reply removed

Just trying to do my job

use 'run' 'regedit', search for symatec and delete the 'keys', or if you have another symantec app search for 'norton' and ditto.

only way to stop nortons tentacles from wrecking you startup sequence :yes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi

Click start, click run, type regedit and press ok. This will take you to the registry editor.

Look in the following locations and check for any references to norton/symantec. These locations are where XP looks for programs to be executed at start up.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Windows

Click the relevant key in the right hand window to highlight, right click and select delete.

Please back-up the key and use at your own risk. Messing with the registry could have serious consequences if used incorrectly.

You can also remove a virus using the same method.

Search google for a free download called Hijackthis - this is a great tool for removing malicious applications if you know what you are looking for.

If you are not sure which key to remove, instead of typing regedit, type msconfig, click the startup tab and untick the program you wish to prevent from executing at startup.

If you get stuck pm me and I will be glad to talk you through it.

Tip of the day: beware of free applications that claim to remove spyware, malware, virus etc.. There are plenty of applications out there that are doing more harm than good. Get yourself windows defender (free from microsoft), spybotsd(free) and avg (free version) pro is much better. Dont want to advertise but if you need pro pm me.

I hope this helps

Archived