Security Installer Community

Getting Rid Of Norton

Monteey

Guest moominboy

arfur mo beat me to it, but symantec will not erase every trace of their programs. neither will any 3rd party app.

it took me 6 hours to erase it off my mates pc and as arfur said run regedit, look for nav or sym etc anything linking to nav-ish things. also, turn off system restore after you have thoroughly cleaned, then turn it back on.

seems symantec have copied some spyware bad behaviour!

arfur mo beat me to it, but symantec will not erase every trace of their programs. neither will any 3rd party app.

it took me 6 hours to erase it off my mates pc and as arfur said run regedit, look for nav or sym etc anything linking to nav-ish things. also, turn off system restore after you have thoroughly cleaned, then turn it back on.

thanks moomingboy,

regedit is where the real men of computer twiddling live :yes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

thanks moomingboy,

regedit is where the real men of computer twiddling live :yes:

regs

alan

Removing the run Entries will not remove all traces, your only preventing the realtime scanner from loading, use the NONAV this runs VBscript to remove the Traces completely, but be aware if you have any other Symantec products it will remove the liveupdate.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

If I can add my 2 penneth !!!

One of the best packages on the market that I have ever used is System Mechanic. Usual search on Google will tell you more.

It has all the CLEAN utilities that check for broken links, missing folders, bad dll files and half uninstalled packages etc. I would well recommend you try it !

cheers

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

One of the best packages on the market that I have ever used is System Mechanic. Usual search on Google will tell you more.

It has all the CLEAN utilities that check for broken links, missing folders, bad dll files and half uninstalled packages etc. I would well recommend you try it !

cheers

Billy

thanks billy,

i'm always nervous of such packages, as used some in the past and trashed windows usually don'ty show until you restart that it's fvvked.

i'll have a look, but if it stuffs up my machine - your gonna fix it :rolleyes:

:)

regs

alan

ps

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilit...39251485,00.htm

for a bit of a luke warm review

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

cheers

Billy

thanks billy,

i'm always nervous of such packages, as used some in the past and trashed windows usually don'ty show until you restart that it's fvvked.

i'll have a look, but if it stuffs up my machine - your gonna fix it :rolleyes:

:)

regs

alan

ps

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/utilit...39251485,00.htm

for a bit of a luke warm review

Can I use the 5th Amendment here ?? !!!

You shouldnt have a problem with it..... E&OE !!!

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

• 1 month later...
Guest ABD Solutions

Also, don't forget to remove C:\Program Files\Shared Components\Symantec. This folder can be a big headache when trying to remove/re-install symantec products. If you have any other Symantec products installed, then you must leave this folder unaltered, but if you are removing the lot, you should always remove this folder for a cleaner uninstall.

Archived