Security Installer Community

Rapport-337, Own Up Who,s Bought One

golfball

• 2 months later...

I spoke to Steve Baker @Genie CCTV (Rapport 337 UK Distributor) back in November last year. I asked him about the new model thats due and additional firmware/protocol updates:

Here's the replies:

"You're quite right there is a new model coming, but I must confess there's no real guarantee exactly when ! It's supposed to have been with us by now !

For your information, the current model was reduced in price some time ago and the new one will be (I think) the same price as before.

My advice would be to go with the current model, just in case when we do receive the new one, which will be the very first time we have seen an operational product, there may be one or two features which need to be looked at ?"

Regards

Steve Baker

GENIE CCTV LTD

Reply about firmware/protocol updates:

"Despite several promises, they never did, although I strongly suspect the new model will definitely have additional protocols. Of course, most people are using Pelco D & P.

Please do ask me again from time to time about the progress of the new model - hopefully our marketing will filter through to you as soon as we have properly launched the new Rapport"

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys - I really need help here!

My so far trusty Rapport has just dies, or should that be fried!?!

I foolishly plugges a 15v mains adapter into it, and following a burning smell, it no longer powers up as it should.

The LCD monitor is blank, but all the meters functions work when hooked up to an external monitor.

So...I opened it up, and there is a burnt IC, which will probably be something like a 7805, but I cannot read the number off the chip.

So...would any of you kind chaps be willing to open the back of your meter and if I send/post a picture of the chip in question, be able to tell me the number from your own unit?

I have emailled the manufacturer but have yet to get a reply re service manual...

Thanks in advance

David

Hmm if it is a 7805 that why it's not powering up as that the voltage regulator for the system or a major part of it, not got my rapport to hand so can't help in anyway..

If your lucky that's all that's gone on it, I'd carefully check around that burnt IC for other damage and I'm betting since it will be at least dual sided if not a multi-layered mainboard there could be hidden damage...

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Hmm if it is a 7805 that why it's not powering up as that the voltage regulator for the system or a major part of it, not got my rapport to hand so can't help in anyway..

If your lucky that's all that's gone on it, I'd carefully check around that burnt IC for other damage and I'm betting since it will be at least dual sided if not a multi-layered mainboard there could be hidden damage...

Hi

I am hoping that its an easy one... but it cannot be too bad given the rest works!

If you would be willing to "open up" at some point it would be appreciated!

The surrounding board looks ok, so I hope its just the chip.

I cannot confirm its a 7805 (obviously!) but it will be a regulator ic or a transistor doing the job... probably with a zenner...

I am really dissapointed that zero service info is available... you buy cheap, youget cheap I guess!

David

• 1 month later...
Hi Bestgear,

Iv got mine open hee. Where is it exactly??

cheers

Willie

Hi Willie

I have attached a picture....

You can see the damaged chip....

if you can read the markings on it, plus the adjacent u602, tc704 Q807, Q802 and the resistor above R615 that would be great!

I very much appreciate your help!

David

D

post-10885-1224084735_thumb.jpg

Archived