Security Installer Community

A One Off

Vince8282

Hi

Just trying to make a customer happy.

Have put the output of a 20gig i-pod into this panasonic piece of kit that I know nothing about :rolleyes: The idea is it plays music when you put a caller on hold. This bit works OK but when not on hold plays the music through the speaker on the main phone. I think maybe it just needs programing as the other phones in the system are nice and quiet, but have not got the programing info or indeed any info on the phone system other than the name as in topic description.

Any suggestions other that get a propper engineer in? LOL

Best wishes

Vince

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Erm, yeah. New one on me, but a bit too vague for me to be of any use to you here.

Pics or model numbers would be good, although it sounds like either user error or knackered system. :hmm:

Hi Lurchio

I said it was a one off. The thing is it works after a fashion and the ex BT lads that installed the box said it was second hand when they installed it and they had no instructions for it either LOL.

I thought it might just need fine tuning like typeing in a number on the phone that the music is pouring out of, which would switch off the output to the phones loud speaker. The other phones on the system are mute. It is an old model I haven't got a picture of it but another vague description is:

Metal box 2'6''x2'6'' and about 10'' deep (sizes guessed) A phono socket located on the right hand side of the top pcb which is mounted horizontally and runs the full width of the box(the pcb that is not the phono socket).

I plugged into the phono socket with the output of the i-pod via an amp and it works fine so I may not go back unless the tape falls off the speaker grill on the phone PMSL or unless he gets fed up of the music which I've programmed to play randomly.

Thanks anyway

Best wishes

Vince

PS It was the customer who put the tape over the speaker grill :banned:

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

If it's old, and biege, it sounds like an 80's model so could well be knackered.

There should be a model number on the front, if you can find out what it is I can look in the book but I can think of 3 models that it could be off the top of my head.

Thanks again Lurch.

I am not going to lose any sleep over it but next time I visit the site I will take a few pics with my Sony dvd recorder photo taking all singing and dancing surround sound camara if nowt else to show what we get up to when let loose :fear:

Best wishes

Vince

PS Just remembered that the only writing on the front of the panel was Panasonic on the left and digital systems written on the right. That may read top and bottom if the panel was mounted 90 degrees out. The cover is L shaped with the bottom of the L at the top LOL

Heck! I'm starting to sound like an old Johny Cash song :fear:

Hmm, I've got loads and loads of manuals here that could fit, far too many for me to look through just fr simple suggestions!

Could be a DBS though?

Don't worry about it mate I am passed caring now.

I went to a site that has hundreds of models of panasonics all with downloadable manuals for a rediculously low fee but not knowing the particular model I left for a swift pint or two of adams pop and a couple of those nice mc vities chocolate biscuits with caramel in that I know you like so much. Mmmmmm Thinks I might have another one now :yes:

• 4 weeks later...
That sounds like a DBS to me. Theyve probably got Background Music switched on at the extension. Lift handset dial #53 then replace handset. That should nail it.

Yahoooooooooooo!!!!! That is exactly right.

I visited this site yesterday and crept in only to here the speakers blearing out the horrendous music that I had progged in, armed with your info I sideled up to the main reception phone and followed your instructions and low and behold the music stopped. The manager noticing this now thinks I am a brilliant genious (which I of course allowed him to) and his receptionist come secretary thinks so too.LOL

Now that he thinks I can do all sorts of things with it so anyone have the manual for a DBS which I now know it is cos it said all over the phones digital business system. Mmmmm if only my dyslexicism would go away I could have fixed it for then the first time around.

Thanks again guys

Best wishes

Vince

• 1 month later...

post-5954-1163619835_thumb.jpgpost-5954-1163619883_thumb.jpgpost-5954-1163619783_thumb.jpg

Beutyful pics as promised

I told you I would visit the site again with my super dooper camera. If anyone has a better idea now on the model and knows where I can get a cheat sheet for the various user opperations I would be delighted.

P.S. The camera was an annaversary pressy so am I aloud to go around and take pictures all over the place or will I be viewed as a perve. I will use it to explain things in future as my English is not as good as the pictures. Also does privately taken photo's come under data protechion. I have noticed that a lot of number plates are blocked out or fuzzzed on the telly and also peoples faces are sometimes fuzzed out too.

Best wishes

Vince

PPS I removed the cover to avoid advertising the installers details but after their name it said "Don't call us, we will call you" and I think that says it all.

Archived