Security Installer Community

Quick Question About Cable.

Guest slack

Hi people.

Am I right in saying that items, such as PIR's are wired straight back to the CP and that the security (tamper) loop is litterally a continuous loop that runs to each device and back to the CP?

I need to fit the cabling soon, as I am almost ready to start decorating. I wont be fitting the alarm system for quite a while, but want to get the cables in so I dont destroy the house once decorated.

I know that you shouldn't run them close to power cables and always leave some slack (ha!), I'm just not 100% sure how the tamper circuit works.

If someone could let me know, that would be cool!

Also, I was just going to pick some 6 or 8 (to be safe!) core up from the internet. Is there a 'better' make of cable to look out for or is it much of a muchness?

Many thanks

Slack

Am I right in saying that items, such as PIR's are wired straight back to the CP and that the security (tamper) loop is litterally a continuous loop that runs to each device and back to the CP?

kinda depends on the product

Hi people.

I need to fit the cabling soon, as I am almost ready to start decorating. I wont be fitting the alarm system for quite a while, but want to get the cables in so I dont destroy the house once decorated.

I know that you shouldn't run them close to power cables and always leave some slack (ha!), I'm just not 100% sure how the tamper circuit works.

If someone could let me know, that would be cool!

Also, I was just going to pick some 6 or 8 (to be safe!) core up from the internet. Is there a 'better' make of cable to look out for or is it much of a muchness?

Many thanks

Slack

Depends on the panel etc as to how you will 'wire' it. But if you go for 8 core from each device to the panel, this will cover most options. 6 core would be ok for 90% of device. This only applies to detectors and sounders as keypads and expenders may require 'special' data cable.

Stick to the main cable names. Yes im sure you can buy it from anywhere on the internet, but do you want to put this stuff in twice?

Go for CQR or Ventcroft.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

If you use one cable per device, each one going straight back to the control panel avoiding any mains cables, you won't go far wrong. Leave about a foot at the detector end and about 1.5 feet in the panel but don't chop off the excess, just tuck it back under the floorboards. The manual for your alarm panel will have a diagram in it that will showyou how to wire the global tamper loop.

Cable is much of a muchness as you say. You will find most installers will have a prefered manufacturer but some will fit anything. It all does the same job at the end of the day, but the better stuff is easier to work with more than anything. The CQR 8 core is a an absolute dream to work with. Aslong as you don't buy it from the big DIY shops... I would recommend going with 8 core just in case you ever need the 2 spares in future. It's not much dearer than 6.

Trade Member

Great, thanks, that is a big help :)

At the moment, I am looking at the Texecom Veritas Excel CP. Does anyone know how the tamper circit is wired on that one?

Unfortunately you can't download the manuals from Texecom until you buy the system and register.

Thanks

How the tamper circuit is wired is immaterial, if, as everyone has suggested you run all the detectors back to the control panel (8 core is best, gives spares) you can wire the tampers from individual circuits to the associated circuit in the panel or if a global tamper circuit is required you will just have a rather large collection of joints at the panel, so, just wire everything back to the panel and worry about how you are going to connect it all when the time comes.

John

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived