Security Installer Community

Euro Meridian

Tallbloke

I've been working on these panels for a few weeks now but my first installation is having problems with line faults. When I fitted the modem, the panel couldn't detect a line and when I picked up the receiver, I had no dial tone or voltage. I disconnected the line from the panel and the dial tone returned. After changing the modem and getting the same result, I changed the PCB. The panel worked perfectly so I put it down to the PCB. All was ok for a couple of weeks until the panel went into line fault again. There was no voltage on the line and I dissed the line from the panel to find there was still no voltage. I told the customer to report it to his telco provider, Talk Talk who said the line was ok and it must be our kit. Sound familiar? Anyway, I returned later that day and reconnected the line to the panel. It dialled out once then seized the line rendering it unusable and showed telecom failure on the display. It has refused to dial out since and seizes the line so I have had to disconnect the line and disable the modem. The customer says Talk Talk have stated that their lines don't work with dial-out alarms but RedCare would be ok. I can't see this happening as I thought RecCare was only available on a BT line. He also suggested using a prefix of 1280 so that the call is routed via BT. I'm not convinced this will work but I'm willing to give it a go. The customer is being quite understanding about all this but it needs sorting.

Your input would be appreciated.

Regards,

TB

check that the modem is disabled. If its dragging the line down then id suggest its a hardware fault, but i have had a lot of fun with these over the years and would suggest removing the sim modem and cleaning the contacts gently with an ink eraser and retry. Plus this panel is very fussy about line quality and will report line fails and com fails when others wouldnt.

Yes your right about redcare but if talktalk are using bt lines then you could i suppose. I would also check broadband and check your panel is filtered for broadband as this will cause you tonnes of greif

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There's a DSL filter on it and the REN is 2. I'm booked to go back on Thursday with a PCB and modem. I'd like to try another line but they only have the one and they don't know their neighbours well enough that I could try using a 'washing line' to temp. connect to another line.

I went to another Meridian panel today that had a duff modem after a storm. Earthing the TE terminal may have prevented that.

Don't you wish ya held out for an exclusive line :P

is the plastic euro????

whats on the line??????

had euro 12 which would not live with one of those amstrad emailer things on the line

It's a G3. There's a cordless phone on the line and I know they are going for broadband.

The firm I work for don't insist on a block terminal if it's a digi. It would simplify things if they did.

Thanks for your ideas.

The cable to the socket is stranded 8 core and was run under the skirting before it was nailed in place. The terminations are screw terminal and Krone. The DSL filter is a socket fitted in the panel.

The cable tests ok but to rule out a fault on this cable, I ran another across the floor to the socket and it made no difference.

After the probs I've had with this and other jobs due to suspect phone connections, I'll suggest the fitting of a block for every job but I doubt things will change.

Archived