Security Installer Community

Pcmcia

Guest ALSEC

Guest ALSEC

I have a PCMCIA to RS232 card but it doesn't fit into the slot in my laptop! The slot in my laptop is L shaped (if that makes sense) when you slide the card into the slot..

Are there different types of PCMCIA cards~??

I have a PCMCIA to RS232 card but it doesn't fit into the slot in my laptop! The slot in my laptop is L shaped (if that makes sense) when you slide the card into the slot..

Are there different types of PCMCIA cards~??

Yes - Type I, Type II, Type III. Fundamentally based on thickness,

Then there's PCMCIA (very old now) and PC Card (generally PCMCIA backward compatible).

Have you got it upside down? :whistle:

Guest ALSEC

pcmcia.bmp

Yes - Type I, Type II, Type III. Fundamentally based on thickness,

Then there's PCMCIA (very old now) and PC Card (generally PCMCIA backward compatible).

Have you got it upside down? :whistle:

Not upside down (thank god!)

I have tried to attach a very poor quality picture of the slot - the red line is the gold terminals inside the slot - if you see what i mean about being L shaped??

pcmcia.bmp

Not upside down (thank god!)

I have tried to attach a very poor quality picture of the slot - the red line is the gold terminals inside the slot - if you see what i mean about being L shaped??

That doesn't look anything like PC Card slot :!:

A type I PC Card is about 54mm wide and 3mm deep at the connector, with 2 rows of 34 pin sockets each. Pins are deep inside the socket.

There are usually small lugs (1mm max)projecting sideways at the top and bottom on the right and on the bottom on the left - viewed from behind as you push the card in. They extend back about 1cm from the connector end. Variations in these lugs define the various card types.

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Dell Inspiron 1300..

It is not a second battery slot and it is not an ISA card obviously as this is a laptop and not a very old desktop!

Dell Inspiron 1300..

It is not a second battery slot and it is not an ISA card obviously as this is a laptop and not a very old desktop!

i guess it is "EXPRESS CARD" slot then..

have no idea what is that thou - but NOT PC or PCMCIA..

Clickety

like i said abaove these new 'express' slots are an new pcmcia serial card to replace bus mastered pcmcia(pci) as its part of the new pci serial bus (like on desktops) your pcmcia card wont work like a pci card wont fit in a pci serial socket

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived