Security Installer Community

Is It Difficult To Wire An Alarm System Up?

tododo

Hi guys

Ive just moved into my first house and have just recently had electrics rewired.

The elctricain was going to put an alarm system (VR8 Control Panel) in for me however I decided that I would rather go for a system that Id looked into myself and understood a little bit

The electrician has laid the 6 core cable ready for the bell box, PIRs, door contacts, keypad etc...... the cable is there ready to be wired up, nothing is connected as yet

Basically Im looking at the Premier 24 Control Panel an basically everything as in this alarm pack here

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Burglar-Ala...System--Kit.asp

My question is..............is it very difficult to wire or connect this system up? Are the instructions pretty easy to follow?

Or does anybody know roughly the approximate cost of setting up this system by somebody in the trade?

Im in the Swansea area

Thanks for any advice guys

Hello,

From an alarm installers point of view it is easy but you have to remember we have the experience. I mean would you fit new breaks to your car or take it to a garage ??

If the cable has been run properly(not next to mains) then i would get an alarm company in to professionaly install the system and take a maintenance contract out with them.

The Premier panel is a good one when fitted correctly.

!

I agree with Scottish Engineer, ftting an alarm is like

1, A plasterer plastering

2, A mechanic fitted a new head gasket

3, A bt engineer rewiring a pbx

All relativly easy when youve been doing it for 10 years and have all the required equipment. Yes you can do it yourself, just like you can plaster your own lounge cielings and all. Fit your new head gasket to your v8 turbo'd Audi RS6 and rewire that 18 port meridian with fibre box thats fitted at work. I mean how hard can it be!!!

lol Good luck. Follow all instuctions and advice from here

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

And remember be careful as you have to deal with mains power into a 3amp unswitched spur then into the panel. If you are going to fit it yourself i would advise you get the sparky to fit the mains into the panel cos we don't want a shock!

!

Nice Panel, I wouldnt recommend it for a DIY'er to install, the programming is step by step on the LCD, but you need to actually know what the various programming options mean and what they do. You also did ask for an Idea on cost to have it fitted, maybe one of the Installers on here can PM you with a price?

Thanks guys

A rough estimation of fitting cost would give me some guidance on getting the money together

I can tell you that the sparky has already wired the 6 core pretty close to the mains wiring....I wasnt there when he did this as I already knew this wasnt really recommended (after reading on here) and I would have told him not to do it.....I would say that they are around 6inches apart and closer in parts to the mains wiring

Praise ACT 1313`s then, still get away with it with them babies fitted.

Err if your not sure get a quote, as mentioned untrained and electrickey = nasty shock.

cheers

Thanks for the info guys............so its defo not recommended to put say a premier control panel in this sort of install (alarm cable pretty close to the mains ring) due to the possibilty of false alarms

Does anybody know of any websites that have the Praise ACT 1313 so I can take a look?

Archived