Security Installer Community

CCTV calculators

dinefwr

Guest oddsocks

Peter,

I got mine from http://www.calmar-filters.com/cctv_filters.htm but they were not cheap. I have since been told that most of the filters I purchased could have been brought from a good photographic shop(doh) Maybe worth a try?

The Neutral Density filter has proved invaluable to me particularly when setting zoom lenses correctly.

cheers

Paul

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

When I first joined the CCTV trade over 6 years ago and had to work out what size lens to use. Someone gave me a cardboard disc and said, "There you go! Work it out!". With that in mind I decided to make it easier for myself and everyone else in the industry to work it out...........

The result is the Graphic CCTV Lens Calculator - Please let me know what you think!

Software 4 CCTV

When I first joined the CCTV trade over 6 years ago and had to work out what size lens to use. Someone gave me a cardboard disc and said, "There you go! Work it out!". With that in mind I decided to make it easier for myself and everyone else in the industry to work it out...........

The result is the Graphic CCTV Lens Calculator - Please let me know what you think!

Software 4 CCTV

A 30 day demo and then your hoping we will say its the muts nuts......... a totally free sample would be more like it.

Especially seeing there is a perfectly good free version at the top of the page.........

• 2 weeks later...
Basically a lens calculator works out what size lens you need depending on the distances and or size of area you want in your picture.

So you know what chip size your using (1/3 inch), use metres, and you have measured how far away and how wide the object you gonna watch is ( 10mtrs x 3 mtrs).

You want that object in you picture and its height will be say 3 mtrs, enter those into the calculator where required and calculate. it will now tell you what size lens you will need. In this case it will be a 16mm lens.

They were almost essential once but now i dont know anyone that needs to use one.

If a varifocal lens wont do the job then maybe you would need one but myself i sort of know from experience.

If anyone wants a lens angle calculator wheel drop me an e-mail and I will post it to you with some instructions. Always find it useful when I can't get to a PC.

Chris Newman

www.vipcctv.co.uk

Archived