Security Installer Community

Disturbing The Neighbours Doing A Professional Install

Hi folks,

I'm interested in a genuine professional view on this as it's disturbing our neighbourhood. We've had quite a few burglaries in the area lately so every time an alarm goes off everybody runs to the front door.

Assume you're doing a normal domestic installation (large semi) and there are 2 of you doing it as a team.

How many times would you expect the external sounder to go off full belt (admittedly for max 30 seconds) during the installation and commissioning.

Our next door neighbours are having a new alarm fitted and so far over yesterday and today it's gone off about 10 times. I know they're nearly finished as I can hear the walk-test tones now.

My thinking would be maybe twice only and right at the end:

1. After it's connected and you do a bell function test.

2. Final test of a full alarm condition.

But maybe you need more?

Incidentally the installers web site has pictures of ADE kit (which I've DIY'ed at home but would now use something more expandable). :whistle:

Twice. Once to test and once when the customer is being trained. Each time about 10 seconds.

cheers. Alarm Guard. The customer is out at work so I hopefully only 1 more. :rolleyes:

Neat looking white hexagonal sounder with a blue light at the bottom - what make/model would that be?

Mind you, as a non-security observation, there was also a Sky installer there yesterday, and what he's done outside has to be seen to be believed. When I see the neighbours over the weekend and show them (it's only really visible from our house) they won't be pleased - badly damaged rendering due to sloppy aerial dish fixing. And his creative use of ladders was entertaining to say the least. By contrast the security guys seemed to be doing all that sort of stuff carefully and properly. But I think those subjects (Sky installers and working at height) have been done to death elsewhere..... :P A

Sounds like it could be an Elmdene Quartz or CQR Protecta sounder to me.

I would say 2 activations excluding the intial power up, which I would usually disconnect the sounder for anyway. It sounds like these guys are generating a full alarm condition from every detector or something :hmm:

Trade Member

If it is the Quartz there isn't automatic engineer hold off like you get on most other boxes so you can easily set it off twice just getting it on the wall.

Mind you, as a non-security observation, there was also a Sky installer there yesterday, and what he's done outside has to be seen to be believed.

I can believe it without seeing it.

If it is the Quartz there isn't automatic engineer hold off like you get on most other boxes so you can easily set it off twice just getting it on the wall.

You can always use the "Eng" input ;)

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

You can always use the "Eng" input ;)

I know, but that's not automatic. ;)

If you're fitting the bell before the panel then it's a waste of time. I'll sometimes fit the bells first depending on the job, might be that it's about to rain or perhaps access to the panel is restricted for some reason.

If you were to fit the Quartz and put it on the wall at the beginning of the job you could set it off twice fitting it, then again disconnecting it when you realise the panel isn't on yet, then again when you connect it back up again later, then again testing it after install then again showing the customer how it works.

I can believe it without seeing it.

:joker:

If you were to fit the Quartz and put it on the wall at the beginning of the job you could set it off twice fitting it, then again disconnecting it when you realise the panel isn't on yet, then again when you connect it back up again later, then again testing it after install then again showing the customer how it works.

That sort of sounds plausible. The bell went up quite early yesterday and they were up there again today.

The bellbox is a Texecom Odyssey 3 by the way.

I don't suppose they would apprecite a "nosy neighbour" telling them that :lol:

They sound like they need all the help they can get to me, although I would'nt be surprised if they 'politely' told you what to do with your advice!

Trade Member

Archived