Security Installer Community

Engineer Codes: Why ?

uski

Hi,

I sometimes work for my family who has a business in the awnings, and in the related automation systems. I am in an electronic engineering school and I regularly help them when they need it so sometimes I install systems at the customer's house, especially when there are complex automation and radio control systems to configure. I also do some service job on damaged systems.

I find this job similar in some ways to installing an alarm system, firstly because there are some non trivial electronic stuff involved, secondly because there are regulations to respect, and lastly because our job is also security related: regularly we install rolling shutters and people use them to protect their backdoor or windows at night. Furthermore, like a lot of people here, we try to do a clean, and good work.

There is something I do not understand in the alarm system business: these engineer codes.

When we install something at a customer's house, we think that as he bought the system from us, the system belongs to him so we give him every code and user manual we have received with the system, including the installer manual. If he wants to mess with the system, it is his problem - we cannot protect people against themselves. So far, after 30 years, we never had a problem with this approach.

I would feel VERY, VERY offended if I buy an alarm system from a company and if, when installing it, I see that I cannot access to all the settings. I would also feel very frustrated if I pay for the installation of the system and if, a few months after it has been installed, when I want to change a PIR detector, I find out that I can't reset the alarm without a special code because the tamper alarm was set to engineer reset: it should be my choice to see if I need an installer to come and fix my system, or if I can do it myself.

However, I do understand that some people tend to buy a system, mess with it, and then when it fails they say "your system is //.B.W.F.// and you did a bad job". I understand that the engineer code may be a way to protect the integrity of an installation, and thus to protect the installer if there is a failure and if the user modified the system himself.

I think that what would be fair is a "genuine installation" flag/light, that lights up when the user modifies something himself. This way, if something fails, when the light will be lit, it will clearly show that the installer's responsibility cannot be taken for the problem, as the user modified the system. But blocking the user from doing what he wants with the system is a nonsense to me. And forcing the user to call the installer even for something as simple as changing the battery is a real offense...

My 2 cents :) I would be very interested in talking a bit more with you all about this !

Sorry if some parts of this text are unclear, English is not my native language.

uski

Guest rjbsec
Hi,

I sometimes work for my family who has a business in the awnings,

Nice part of the country.

The subject of engineer codes has been done to death - they are there for a reason.

Nice part of the country.

The subject of engineer codes has been done to death - they are there for a reason.

OMG, I am sorry if I am reposting about a subject that has been debated a lot already; I'm quite new here and I forgot to do a search ! Sorry :)

Also, I was not criticizing, I just wanted to discuss about this, sorry !

uski

Awww sorry I wish I did a search... sorry sorry...

(I would like to say somethin funny to relax everyone here but my English is not good enough, so it's even worse for me)

I will hit myself for my error :P

One last post from me on Engineer codes

I install you a system and do all the paper work and hand over the job with the engineer code

3 weeks latter you go into engineer mode to change your entry time and program 3 zone's out of the system in error.

6 months latter you get a break in and the alarm dont work as you programed the zones as spare in error.

So your insurance company will now not pay out as the alarm did not work so you SUE me for the alarm not working ....

THATS WHY.

If he wants to mess with the system, it is his problem - we cannot protect people against themselves. So far, after 30 years, we never had a problem with this approach.

A shutter is easy for user to know if its working up, down & stop.

A shutter is classed as machinery and must be maintained & ce marked.

If the user has the hood off and plays with the limits switch shutter may not go up, down or stop in right place, or may end going up or down too far knackering the curtain.

User fannys with the controls chances are they will lose the fobs.

A very different kettle of fish to alarms.

So your insurance company will now not pay out as the alarm did not work so you SUE me for the alarm not working ....

THATS WHY.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I really understand what you mean...

This is the reason why I suggested the idea of having a clear way to see if the system has been altered since its original installation.

Sorry again folks :'( I'm really embarassed, the forum is very clean and it's not fun to see that I made a duplicate post.

uski

Archived