Security Installer Community

Speech Dialer - Canceling The Alarm Remotely?

Alexg

I was at a call out today for a alarm system I installed a year or so back.

The lady mentioned that it went off one night while she was away and that she didn't know about it until she got home and the neighbors greeted her with angry faces, so I did my usual "well, I could install I speech dialer for you" and then went through how it rings through a list of people & will keep doing so until someone presses a number on their phone to cancel it, she sounded impressed but then asked me weather as well as canceling the speech dialer, you can also cancel the alarm sounding on the building by pressing a number on he phone, I have never been asked that before and had to say I don't know (I hate that) but that I'd look into it.

Is there a speech dialer that has a relay contact which I can then link back into the alarm? Would certainly be useful & I if I can find one I may have a lil job there :)

Thanks.

Pretty sure the Vocaliser has a user switchable relay, but is the panel you fitted capable of switched reseting via an external device.?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Don't think anyone would want to offer this facility as a general rule - who knows what is happening at the property so why remove the deterrent of the activated alarm, doesn't that sort of defeat the object?

Yes...but if your a long way away and its the middle of the night, being able to cancel it would be a good idea...like I said, if the alarm stops sounding they may think someone has come home and bail.

If you proceed with this i'd suggest you get the customer to sign a disclaimer saying they understand fully the implications of the system being modified to meet there requirements.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

But with the Vocaliser the customer can listen in before deciding to reset the alarm, and if there is further transgress then the system should re-activate.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

True, but unless its a comprehensive and selective listen-in what will the customer hear on an audible-only?
Well I think the Vocaliser has at least two output's, so the first output toggles the bell trigger giving him a better chance of hearing and the second o/p could be key-switch for re-arming, not ideal but better than a speech dialer on it's own.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived