Security Installer Community

Thank You All So Much...

Guest RichardS

Guest RichardS

...as you have saved me from buying an 'Argos Special' Yale wireless alarm - from what I've read does not seem to sit to happily with WiFi and such...

My girlfriend and I are due to complete on our first house at the end of this week and I want to beef up the security a bit - after all a cocker spaniel does not have the deterrent power of a Dobermann or a crocodile ;)

I've spoken to a couple of installation companies down here in Poole and been 'ballpark quoted*' around the 700 mark for a basic system (grade 2, 1 ext bellbox, 1 dummy, 1 control box, remote keypad, 4-5 Pir, 3-4 door/window contacts).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to just have a good installer come in and set up a system for me and not have to worry about it but with stamp duty, deposits, solicitors fees, changing lock barrels etc. we just don't have this amount of money (

Congrats on your new home.

Do you think that you could install an alarm yourself?

If so then you are likely to get all the help and advice you need, once you are in your new home then start to look at installing your alarm and come back for more advice.

Guest RichardS

Thanks everyone for the initial feedback - it is a 2 bed terraced house, attached is a (very rough) ground floor floorplan. To give an idea of scale the lounge and dining areas are approx 12' x 11' each, kitchen 10'9" x 8'. I've marked proposed PIR locations for a DIY job probably with an additional door/window contact on the bathroom window which overlooks the flat roof over the sun room.

Rjbsec: - that's what I figured but thought I'd ask just in case - although I have confidence in myself I really don't want to look out the front window one night and see all my neighbours in a fit of false alarm rage coming up the road waving burning torches and pitchforks! None of the companies I have spoken to yet have hinted at the sort of arrangement you mention but I suppose it never harms to ask.

Rich: - I think I could do a DIY, previous stuff I've done is set up and cable LAN's (domestic and small office - 35 machines), fit a ring main and separate lighting circuit, made an onboard preamp for one of my guitars from instructions...

post-8968-1149147553_thumb.jpg

:roflmao: That saying always gets me ;)

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

• 1 month later...

Archived