Security Installer Community

Books...

Hiya.

What books are avalible to buy for joe-public to revise installing alarms.

I'd love to read up and change from the ARC to installing systems.

Any help welcome.

Matt

Wakes your customers at 3am, when your alarm cant !

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

Guest Neal
Hiya.

What books are avalible to buy for joe-public to revise installing alarms.

I'd love to read up and change from the ARC to installing systems.

Any help welcome.

Matt

I imagine it would be more than just reading a book. You need a qualification these days so you can earn accreditation so look for a part time college course in your area.

trust me i am doing i just need to know a bit about it before i make that choice & try & get my company to back me too

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

trust me i am doing i just need to know a bit about it before i make that choice & try & get my company to back me too

what you want is an old panel & some detection from works skip wire it up using an install book & sit & play with it until you break it.....

then use your holidays to go & labour with an installation engineer then ask nicely to see if firm will employ you as trainee ( I assume you can drive)

i don't think a book say Intruder Alarm by Colin Bridges ISBN 0974665013 will teach you anything relevant in today

Agreed on the books thing. If you don't know alot about them, they will teach you the basics, but you won't find one that's up to date. The best one I've read is "Intruder Alarms" by Gerard Honey. It was printed within the last 3 or 4 years so it's reasonably accurate and there's plenty of diagrams in it. It focuses on the Menvier kit more than anything, so it's quite biased in that respect...

I also agree on getting a panel or two off eBay. You can get practically any panel off there, and there's usually loads of detectors etc. It's well worth the investment and apart from proper on the job training, it's one of the best ways of learning. You could install it at home and just add stuff to it as you go along. That's also a good way of learning to hide cables propely etc.

Trade Member

Agreed on the books thing. If you don't know alot about them, they will teach you the basics, but you won't find one that's up to date. The best one I've read is "Intruder Alarms" by Gerard Honey. It was printed within the last 3 or 4 years so it's reasonably accurate and there's plenty of diagrams in it. It focuses on the Menvier kit more than anything, so it's quite biased in that respect...

QFA, I have the updated edition here. It's SITO accredited although it dosn't encompass any of the new EN standards. :( No doubt a revised edition will be available shortly.

If you need to look it up AMAZON stock it, ISBN 0-7506-5760-X

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

"Intruder Alarms" by Gerard Honey.Second edition. very interesting read :)

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

funny that getting a system out of the skip should be mentioned.... i came out of the ARC yesterday & walked past an endstation, took it apart to find a RKP inside.....

Castle...... How nasty does that look!

It's full of EOL resistors & such - where would i find the install manual for it? i know they aren't given out on here but need something to have a gander at

funny that getting a system out of the skip should be mentioned....

Castle...... How nasty does that look!

Ask an engineer to default so you can play....

If fact ask if they can fix you up with panel thats used but works....

Archived