Security Installer Community

Remote Desktop

Nova-Security

Never tried it. Does it work with older platforms like 2000 as Remote desktop doesn't. well not without a plugin.

To be honest I don't know.... have a look at their web site...

we use it with XP Home and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I can reproduce my office pc desk top on my home pc and work from home just as if i was at work.... :'(

And you know when people are logged on to a machine as the mouse pointer wanders around the screen opening files etc.... bit spooky really, bit like that scene from Ghost.... no not that one,,,,, the one where "murderer" gets typed up on the screen....

Anyway, it's free for a month so you can try it... :)

Never tried it. Does it work with older platforms like 2000 as Remote desktop doesn't. well not without a plugin.

Try LogMeIn. I use it for connecting to my families PC's for when they 'do something' and it's working fine across W2K, XP Pro and XP Home. Not tried it on anything else but it should work on W95 and 98 (I think, have to check on that though).

• 7 months later...
I am still a fan of RealVNC, works fine for me.

A little sluggish but you dont use it for gaming do you.

Old Topic...

But you can enable RDP on your XP computers, by ticking the box in The remote tab, and allow this computer to be remotely controlled. Terminal services "service" only comes with 2000, 2003 and SBS variants, and NT terminal server edition, which allows 2 users connected out of the box (remote administration mode) and as many as your licenses permit which in Terminal Server mode.

Remember it uses port 3389 (unless changed) and this will need port forwarding to the host PC. Like wise for VNC which uses ports 5800 and 5900.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

You can also access the remote desktop connection by:

Start > Run > type in mstsc ok

The best remote software I've come across is Remote Admin http://www.famatech.com/

In my previous job we used this to control 4500 desktops in 15 different countires, no other remote software I've come across can compare with the speed of it across a LAN / WAN.

You can also access the remote desktop connection by:

Start > Run > type in mstsc ok

The best remote software I've come across is Remote Admin http://www.famatech.com/

In my previous job we used this to control 4500 desktops in 15 different countires, no other remote software I've come across can compare with the speed of it across a LAN / WAN.

another good one is dameware utils/remote control

Yeah, I've used that and found it to be one of the quickest but it costs so I tend not to use it anymore!

XP Home does actually have remote desktop, its just limited to one way. You can remote to XP pro from XP home, but not the other way around.

Andy.

www.sound-designs.co.uk - Audio visual design and installation including CCTV

www.frenergy.co.uk - Renewable energy technology

XP Home does actually have remote desktop, its just limited to one way. You can remote to XP pro from XP home, but not the other way around.

Andy.

It has the Remote Desktop protocol Client but not the Host services, as the topic seems to be about remote controlling the desktop / session, then as mentioned above XP home is out of the frame for being remote controlled using RDP.

It has the Remote Desktop protocol Client but not the Host services

Isnt that what i just said?

The initial post was just about setting up remote desktop in general and as several posts state its not included in XP home, i though i would clarify that it actually is, its just a little limited compared with XP pro.

Andy.

www.sound-designs.co.uk - Audio visual design and installation including CCTV

www.frenergy.co.uk - Renewable energy technology

Archived