Security Installer Community

Why Must You Hide Cables?

Guest KenW

Guest KenW

I've read elsewhere in these forums (which are great , by the way, and providing me with a lot of useful information) that professional installers always hide the cable runs. Why is this? Is it a matter of tidiness or are exposed cables some sort of invite to the burglar? I'm thinking that if a burglar breaks in to a house and the alarm goes off, is there any advantage to him (her?) in being able to see the cables? After all, the siren is going and he'll presumably leg it. perhaps I'm missing something here. :hmm:

:) don't forget carpet fitters, they love to accidently cut cables. mind not complaining,this does generate business.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest KenW
Most customers dislike cables tacked around door frames.

Hiding them keeps them out of harms way - hoovers , dogs , rotary sanders , etc.

:)

Thanks for the fast reply. As long as there are no security aspects, I'll go ahead and replace my cables along the same routes. The majority are running along an unused picture rail (Yes! My house still has them). They are fairly invisible. I have to replace a couple because my old system, which was the much criticised B&Q AJ 600 / Omnicron 7000, utilised PIRs sharing a zone, and I gather this is now forbidden under the current regulations.

Thanks also to kka and to rjbsec for the touch of humour. :)

If any cables are external, eg from house to garage they must be protected by some sort of covering.... steel tube or similar.

It is also regulations that any exposed cables are fixed securely to minimise possibility of accidental damage.

Your forgetting Joe Public can do what he wants with his alarm cables!

It is of course good advice to protect cables but not mandatory!

Guest KenW
If any cables are external, eg from house to garage they must be protected by some sort of covering.... steel tube or similar.

It is also regulations that any exposed cables are fixed securely to minimise possibility of accidental damage.

Thanks, but this won't be a problem. The cable to the sounder enters from behind it, so no cable is showing. My garage isn't alarmed.

Guest ALSEC

[quote name='KenW' date='May 11 2006, 05:17 PM' post='98698'

and I gather this is now forbidden under the current regulations.

In your case this has no relevance to your system anyway..

The entire alarm system doesn' comply with current regs so why worry about a couple of dets on one zone??

Guest KenW

The reply from Alsec is less than helpful. Can you explain why my system doesn't comply with current regs? Is there anything I can do about it?

Archived