Security Installer Community

Alarm Cable Near Mains Wiring

Guest jimrichards

Guest jimrichards

Great, thanks again to all.

Just one more question, would screened cables be 100% safe/reliable along side mains? If so, are they roughly similar diameter to non screened? I could probably use the existing runs to pull through screened cable unless this would cause other issues.... Are screened cables compatible with all systems?

If not, I'll try the filter option, it is still much preferable to chasing out all my fresh plaster!

If that doesn't work, I'll be back asking about wireless!!

Thanks again, you have a great community here & should be recommended as an example of how the web can work!

Jim.

Guest rjbsec
Great, thanks again to all.

Just one more question, would screened cables be 100% safe/reliable along side mains? If so, are they roughly similar diameter to non screened? I could probably use the existing runs to pull through screened cable unless this would cause other issues.... Are screened cables compatible with all systems?

If not, I'll try the filter option, it is still much preferable to chasing out all my fresh plaster!

If that doesn't work, I'll be back asking about wireless!!

Thanks again, you have a great community here & should be recommended as an example of how the web can work!

Jim.

Screened cable helps by taking induced ac down to earth as the screen cores are taken to earth at the panel. It's much better than standard cable (and its fractionally greater in diameter) at resisting EMI but it's not 100% foolproof - much better to avoid long runs alongside mains cable in the first place.

When you say running near mains how long are the lenghts next to the mains if it is only a short run, i would try it without spending money on filters first.

What ACT filters mentioned in the above posts would help out in some cases but if every wire is next to or wrapped around a mains cable then i doubt the filter would help.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

When you say running near mains how long are the lenghts next to the mains if it is only a short run, i would try it without spending money on filters first.

What ACT filters mentioned in the above posts would help out in some cases but if every wire is next to or wrapped around a mains cable then i doubt the filter would help.

Maybe a silly question, (I'm not an electronics wizz) but if you have induced AC then of eg. 100volts, i presume his would indicate a certain length of "parallel" cable paths. So in a perfect situation if you doubled the length of the parellel run you would double the induction (forgetting about losses of all kinds).

So does that mean the filter is only good for filtering up to a maximum induced voltage?

:hmm:

When you say running near mains how long are the lenghts next to the mains
it says not to run any alarm sensor cable alongside mains supply cable which I have done everywhere including under floors, in walls etc.

I don't think the low quality panel will help either.

Guest Peter James

Set your multimeter to AC put one terminal in the earth and the other on the 12dc rail, anything over 1v then your gonna have a problem.

Suppressors in the panel will help, but my guess is you have cheap nasty pir's that are just as likely to be effected by induction.

Pete

Archived