Security Installer Community

Alarm Cable Near Mains Wiring

Guest jimrichards

Guest rjbsec

EMI (electromagnetic interference) can be a serious problem and it can be induced onto alarm cables from close proximity to mains cable; it is not unknown to be able to measure voltages in the range of 50 - 100 volts ac on the 12-volt dc lines which is obviously very undesireable.

It is unlikely that you will notice any immediate problems but it is also unlikely that you will escape problems - you should use a filter to take the spurious ac voltages down to earth but even then what you have done (assuming that you did not use screened cable) makes your system more likely to false alarms, system crashes and damage than would otherwise be the case.

Guest G.J.M
what can I say, I'm a bloke

i gathered that.

Women think cables can magic themselves into place within seconds.

Guest jimrichards

Wow, great response, thanks so far.

I know, I know, I wasn't very smart in not checking all this first but when you have walls being biult all around you it is hard to see down to this level of detail.

So it looks like, if I leave it as is, it shouldn't kill anybody which is my main concern.

Can you pls elaborate on the ac filter idea?

Thanks again.

Jim.

Guest rjbsec
So it looks like, if I leave it as is, it shouldn't kill anybody which is my main concern.

Well you have only told us about the alarm cable! :whistle:

An ac filter is a small component that connects to the 12-volt dc terminals on the panel pcb and to the incoming earth at the mains connection - do a search on Google for alarm filtering and you may find a suitable product - it takes the induced ac down to earth.

Archived