Security Installer Community

Installation Standards

Its been said a few times on these forums by members about what standards an alarm system should be installed to, I am interesetd in what the non trade members think about what level should a system be installed to, what do you expect?

Does it matter that your installer doesn't install to a standard?

Personally I feel that as installer we need to install to the current standards as minimum, and where possible installations should exceed the minimum standard laid down by legislation. I also feel that it is important that installations are installed to comply with the standards, becuase how else could you prove measured performance in the event of failure with the system.

This is quite a contraversial subject, but I am intereseted in the consumers opinion.

Guest Peter James
Its been said a few times on these forums by members about what standards an alarm system should be installed to, I am interesetd in what the non trade members think about what level should a system be installed to, what do you expect?

Does it matter that your installer doesn't install to a standard?

Personally I feel that as installer we need to install to the current standards as minimum, and where possible installations should exceed the minimum standard laid down by legislation. I also feel that it is important that installations are installed to comply with the standards, becuase how else could you prove measured performance in the event of failure with the system.

This is quite a contraversial subject, but I am intereseted in the consumers opinion.

Problem is Colin most installations will comply with Grade 1. :(

Personally I think the minimum anyone installing as his trade should be installing to a minimum of 2x, that includes the paperwork that goes with it

Pete

90% of the public wont have a clue about the grades, probably the percentage is even higher.

It will be interesting to so see what the public expect and understand, many that buy alarms are reliant on the installers advice.

Personally I think the minimum anyone installing as his trade should be installing to a minimum of 2x, that includes the paperwork that goes with it

Pete

I agree, but the majority of the public wont know what 2x is.

Or insurance companies!

so tell me???how do a.d.t get away with installing sub standard systems....have heard some right horror stories of what their resi subbies get upto(all cables surface)...if we put in systems like that our customer would go mad..apart from subbies own pride???....what does N.S.I say when they goto a audit??.....would love to be a fly on the wall

Guest Peter James
so tell me???how do a.d.t get away with installing sub standard systems....have heard some right horror stories of what their resi subbies get upto(all cables surface)...if we put in systems like that our customer would go mad..apart from subbies own pride???....what does N.S.I say when they goto a audit??.....would love to be a fly on the wall

I have never come across that many noncompliant //.National Installer.// systems, and I reckon that most of these "horror stories" are not your average //.National Installer.// install.

I have an ex //.National Installer.// engineer working for me and his work is pukka, and the //.National Installer.// guys that attend this site are good chaps, and I would seriosly doubt they would accept a crappy install.

And lets face it if you had an alarm installed and you could hang your christmas cards from the cable runs would you pay the bill? So what makes you think anyone else would? I think you have to take hearsay for exactly that hearsay.

Pete

I have never come across that many noncompliant //.National Installer.// systems, and I reckon that most of these "horror stories" are not your average //.National Installer.// install.

I have an ex //.National Installer.// engineer working for me and his work is pukka, and the //.National Installer.// guys that attend this site are good chaps, and I would seriosly doubt they would accept a crappy install.

And lets face it if you had an alarm installed and you could hang your christmas cards from the cable runs would you pay the bill? So what makes you think anyone else would? I think you have to take hearsay for exactly that hearsay.

Pete

i wasnt in any way trying to say that the //.National Installer.// guys work was shoddy but some of there subbys do sail a little close to the wind,it is not all hearsay,worked for //.National Installer.// about 7 years ago...came across things on the resi side like e/t buttons dropping out of door frames without cables run to them.let alone connected,cables run acrossed a living room that could have doubled as a washing line,when you say to the client this really shouldnt be like this they reply'never knew that thought it should'.Also its the time scale given to put these jobs in.....2 x 6 zone jobs aday??????...also reason i left(didnt join in first place worked for argus who got broughtby a.d.t)was that i didnt like just being a number

Guest kev241

Some people just don't care they may make good connections but I hate to have any loose wires even if wires are put in some conduet it shows that you have pride in your work.

As for grades customers don't care as it never crosses there mind they asume everyone is top notch

Archived