Security Installer Community

Abacus System

Guest FH

Hi All

I'm pulling my hair out (whats left of it!) with an Abacus model 6/8P/8ABI/15/72 (by DA Systems?) with LED panel I inhereted which seems to have gone down. System was/is serviced annually.

The local maintenance people have been round and having found fault in the transformer advised spares unlikely and should consider a Veritas R8 as a replacement etc. to remove possibility of other components going u/s.

Questions:

1. Are Abacus still around and spares? Trawling the web has found nothing.

2. Veritas systems in Forum seem problematic re codes, following power failures etc?

3. Existing system has 3 vibration sensors, 3 PIRs, 1 front door contact and remote led panel - what reliable alternatives are there to the Veritas system suggested - much like a quote a choice of one is not appropriate!

4. I expect to use the existing wiring - should I consider replacing the existing PIRs at the same time or what to use with suggested systems?

5. What 'added benefit' do the Plus/Excel give over R8 and is the LCD? panel a better option than the LED?

Advice/guidance would be gratefully received.

FH

If its only the transformer thats got a fault they should be able to replace it.

Note: The Abacus panel is far better than any R8 stuff and will out last it to even though its already a few years old.

Hi All

I'm pulling my hair out (whats left of it!) with an Abacus model 6/8P/8ABI/15/72 (by DA Systems?) with LED panel I inhereted which seems to have gone down. System was/is serviced annually.

The local maintenance people have been round and having found fault in the transformer advised spares unlikely and should consider a Veritas R8 as a replacement etc. to remove possibility of other components going u/s.

Questions:

1. Are Abacus still around and spares? Trawling the web has found nothing.

Kind of. They have aquired by Bosch, but parts are not available for the old Abacus AFAIK

2. Veritas systems in Forum seem problematic re codes, following power failures etc?

Not really, unserviced ones with faulty batteries do, like a lot of panels.

3. Existing system has 3 vibration sensors, 3 PIRs, 1 front door contact and remote led panel - what reliable alternatives are there to the Veritas system suggested - much like a quote a choice of one is not appropriate!

Too many to list. Get 3 quotes and each installer will recommend their favoured choice of panel.

4. I expect to use the existing wiring - should I consider replacing the existing PIRs at the same time or what to use with suggested systems?

It's certainly something you should consider. Depending on the age and condition, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, as they say.

5. What 'added benefit' do the Plus/Excel give over R8 and is the LCD? panel a better option than the LED?

Not a great deal really. The plus has extra outputs for digital communicator and can take an LCD keypad and have a bigger log. The LCD keypads are more user friendly, they can display time/date and zone descriptors.

Advice/guidance would be gratefully received.

FH

If you don't know......ask.

I would definately prefer the abacus over the veritas anyday, you can still buy abacus panels new, but I am not sure if the transformers are the same now.

If you could find out exactly what model of abacus panel you have, I might have a spare transfomer in 'the shed'

LCD keypad is much more useful than LED, if you get the abacus fixed then upgrade the keypad to LCD

Archived