Security Installer Community

Rather Install Than Monitor

What skills/qualifications etc do you need to install systems rather than sit & monitor them.

Am at the stage where i want to do something constructive with my life, like go to college & become an electrician.

It comes down to a couple of things....

Wages (as normal)

Job enjoyment.

I like nothing more than being covered in fiberglas as i scramble around in lofts pulling cables, its something i could do every day.

At 23 i guess i'm too old for an apprenticeship :(

Wakes your customers at 3am, when your alarm cant !

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

not a contradiction, just an example - doesnt matter to me what cable i run, 6 core or mains, install flood light or bell box.

alarm engineer or electrician, either of which i'd enjoy doing

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

Guest rjbsec
What skills/qualifications etc do you need to install systems rather than sit & monitor them.

Am at the stage where i want to do something constructive with my life, like go to college & become an electrician.

It comes down to a couple of things....

Wages (as normal)

Job enjoyment.

I like nothing more than being covered in fiberglas as i scramble around in lofts pulling cables, its something i could do every day.

At 23 i guess i'm too old for an apprenticeship :(

Would have thought that you are ideally situated - just chose another branch of the company!

Your not to old, my brother in law is 40 and is sitting his electrical City and Guilds. The trouble is do you still want to crawling around in lofts when your 40, im 46 and I hate lofts and as for that fibre glass loft insulation it should be banned. Normally when I work in a loft full of that stuff I work in my pants :P

@ Roger - They will only take me on as an engineer if i'm skilled :(

@ Truss - At 40, well that will keep me fit, if not i can always retire back to the ARC!

Your not to old, my brother in law is 40 and is sitting his electrical City and Guilds. The trouble is do you still want to crawling around in lofts when your 40, im 46 and I hate lofts and as for that fibre glass loft insulation it should be banned. Normally when I work in a loft full of that stuff I work in my pants :P

:help: I can't get that image out of my mind...

Guest RICHL
@ Truss - At 40, well that will keep me fit,

Trust me, it doesnt.

And ironically Im sat here in my pants. It must be an alarm eng thing.

nothing wrong with sitting in your pants, our ARC cannot afford uniforms, so we all sit in ours :)

Archived