Security Installer Community

Vga

whistle

Fitted a DVR with VGA output so fitted a 19" VGA spot monitor in the bar area and a CRT monitor in the cupboard next to the DVR.

My Question is what do you lot do with the 20m VGA lead?

The plug is molded in to each end of the cable so i ended up cutting it off at one end and then running the cable as i am not about to drill all the walls etc with a 35 mm core bit.

Then re-joined the cable when it was installed. As far as i can see its the pnly way of doing it.

I try and avoid using VGA for remote monitors for this reason. You could buy some replacement plugs from CPC and resolder them on to the lead at whatever length you want it, other than that, big holes or bodge it.

Convert the vga signal into composite, we use THESE and they work quite well. :)

The reason i fitted a DVR with a VGA card is so i dont have to use on of them, as i dont rate them i would have just run a coax from the dvr and fitted that unit next to the monitor.

Yes the job has 2 monitors

The one next to the DVR was a standard 14" hi res monitor from dynamic

the spot monitor was fitted behind the bar of a pub so not much space, so i fitted a 19" tft monitor and got a DVR with VGA out put as well as composite.

As a rule i use composite as resolution far better than TFT but in a public area TFT looks real good when hung on the wall no cables showing.

VGA cable is much better than composite :P

Even better DVI or component...

Better how, for what, when used where.....?

You're not really going to see the difference on a 17" TFT on a wall behind a bar in a pub.

Guest stevey

I don't get these special monitors that you CCTV installers use, a standard TV that supports PAL would be good enough for one camera as they must support a minimum of 720 horizontal pixels, i.e. 540 TV lines. That is fine enough for high and even ultra resolution cameras before going to broadcast quality.

But as a BNC connection is technically composite, there was no point in getting a VGA connection for the remote monitor other than the one next to the DVR - the only advantage is sharp text on software menus generated by the DVR.

But having said that, TFT, read, LCD pc monitors should be fine for single camera setups. If you're going to go above VGA resolution i.e. for a quad split screen arangement then I recommend a VGA cable as the benefits would be noticable - especially on a larger screen that can cope with a higher resolution e.g. 1600 x 1200.

Guest CCTV_SUPPORT

Another way of easily extending a VGA lead, us to use the VGA to CAT5 convertors, these can extend the picture to about 200m, without loss of picture. It is also easier to run CAT5 than bulky VGA cable. Thet cost about

Archived