Security Installer Community

Land Lords Mains Or Battery Smoke Alarms?

Guest gust

hiya all..

just a quick question... has a land loard got to fit mains power smoke alarms?

or are battery one's still ok to fit?

thought i read somthing about all rented house's must be fitted with smoke alarm's but can not remember if they could be battery opperated or had to mains power?

gust

Guest G.J.M

Gust

Landlords have been found to liable where occupants have removed the batteries from a smoke alarm,so it's unlikely they will install them.

Bs5839-6 states they should only be installed where the occupants are likely to replace the batteries within 5 days of a low bat signal.

Any new build should have MO smoke alarms and these too should be battery backed up if the electricity supply is likely to be disrupted

i.e occupant not paying electricity bill.

Gust

Landlords have been found to liable where occupants have removed the batteries from a smoke alarm,so it's unlikely they will install them.

Bs5839-6 states they should only be installed where the occupants are likely to replace the batteries within 5 days of a low bat signal.

Any new build should have MO smoke alarms and these too should be battery backed up if the electricity supply is likely to be disrupted

i.e occupant not paying electricity bill.

Having more than smoke alarm means they should be interlinked so this rules out battery only if there is more than one.

Im far from an expert but i thought it was quite simple.

If you rent you house out to an individual a battery operated smoke will do as it down to the indivdual to replace the battery.

If you rent to a group or rooms to different individauls in the same building then they should be hard wired as A could blame B who said he would but didnt change the battery.

Realistically thought the sensible thing to do is to hard wire and then its job done surely?

I rent a house out throught a managing agent, and I only had to install battery operated detectors (ground and first floor landings).

I think if you rent "rooms" out and have more than 6 tenants then you move up rung to part 1 coverage - we've done a few of these quite recently.

I believe there are new regs on the way to cover the 2-5 bedsit range....

Having more than smoke alarm means they should be interlinked so this rules out battery only if there is more than one.

Unless you use interlinked battery operated detectors. ;)

Realistically thought the sensible thing to do is to hard wire and then its job done surely?

*QFA.

the house in question is being rent out to one person..

so as the land lord ask me to get him two smoke dectors he could fit.

now this is where i thought i read somthing about if you rent out room in house as indepened flat,

then i know it has to have full fire system or mo smokes. however just to rent out to one person..

will battery one be ok?

or must it be mo?

Guest Cerberus NI
the house in question is being rent out to one person..

so as the land lord ask me to get him two smoke dectors he could fit.

now this is where i thought i read somthing about if you rent out room in house as indepened flat,

then i know it has to have full fire system or mo smokes. however just to rent out to one person..

will battery one be ok?

or must it be mo?

Rented two or more storey house with no floor area greater than 200m2 must be grade D (mains+ battery back up), regardless of it being new build or existing.

One or more floors with an area greater than 200m2 then it's a B as follows -

BS 5839-6:2004

Grade B: A fire detection and fire alarm system comprising fire detectors (other than smoke alarms and heat alarms), fire alarm sounders, and control and indicating equipment that either

conforms to BS EN 54-2 (and power supply complying with BS EN 54-4) or to Annex C of

this part of BS 5839.

Three or more stories with floor space > 200m2 then you're into an L2 system to BS5839 (2002):part 1.

However,I'm sure that there are plenty of landlords out there who already adhere to the above :whistle:

Archived