Security Installer Community

What Is The Best Route For Me To Take?

Guest intikab

Guest intikab

I am looking for the benefit of your experience please... How do I cover myself, in writing?

Now, no jokes about permanent marker pen on skin etc! :lol:

Basically, I want to play fair and ensure that the client does too. I want to get some sort of contract paperwork in place so that I don't get screwed over by clients who pick at things.

Please don't say "Just walk away" because if the work's been done and the client is nit-picking or something, I would like it to be plain and clear where the line is drawn.

Obviously I want to do a good job and fulfil my obligations. Sure, I would be happy to help but I don't want to get saddled with SEP (someone else's problems).

For instance, If I install CCTV with remote view capabilities over broadband, my responsibility should stop with the work I have done. Broadband issues are not my responsibility. Similarly power and access (to site/hardware) are the client's problem.

I don't know how it is generally done but a written quote doesn't seem to cover everything. Is there a standard form of contract I need, perhaps printed on the back?

Also, what other paperwork do I NEED to ensure I am covered. I know about liability insurance, what else? Invoices etc?

Do I need to involve the services of a printing firm? If so who can you recommend near Chelmsford, Essex?

I appreciate any help you can give.

I am looking for the benefit of your experience please... How do I cover myself, in writing?

Now, no jokes about permanent marker pen on skin etc! :lol:

Basically, I want to play fair and ensure that the client does too. I want to get some sort of contract paperwork in place so that I don't get screwed over by clients who pick at things.

Please don't say "Just walk away" because if the work's been done and the client is nit-picking or something, I would like it to be plain and clear where the line is drawn.

Obviously I want to do a good job and fulfil my obligations. Sure, I would be happy to help but I don't want to get saddled with SEP (someone else's problems).

For instance, If I install CCTV with remote view capabilities over broadband, my responsibility should stop with the work I have done. Broadband issues are not my responsibility. Similarly power and access (to site/hardware) are the client's problem.

I don't know how it is generally done but a written quote doesn't seem to cover everything. Is there a standard form of contract I need, perhaps printed on the back?

Also, what other paperwork do I NEED to ensure I am covered. I know about liability insurance, what else? Invoices etc?

Do I need to involve the services of a printing firm? If so who can you recommend near Chelmsford, Essex?

I appreciate any help you can give.

you could pay a lawyer....or make your own just look at any credit agreement etc youve ever had,receipts etc loads of small print but youd need pro advice on failure to operate insurance etc as no doubt it needs to be installed/serviced etc to bs/en so id go the pro route with any little extras you want added...

As above, start by copying everyone elses contracts !!

Then find a solicitor to explain it to you !

Basically if you have certain conditions you want to enforce on a job, be it working conditions or payment terms, then get your customer to sign to say specifially that they have read and understood them.

If you insert any "unfair" terms these can be challenged in court.

But basically it doesn't matter what terms you have, if a customer doesn't want to pay you you have no choice other than to take them to court (unless you are a big boy and carry a lump of 4 x 2 :bruce_h4h: )

However this will cost you money.

So choose your customers wisely....

Get 3 quotes :lol: , read them carefully, take all the good bits that you can identify with and want to achieve, draw up your own contracts, t's and c's etc., and then get a solicitor to go through it and make any legal changes. A Solicitor won't know the ins and outs of your trade from the off set so do the leg work yourself.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Get 3 quotes :lol: , read them carefully, take all the good bits that you can identify with and want to achieve, draw up your own contracts, t's and c's etc., and then get a solicitor to go through it and make any legal changes. A Solicitor won't know the ins and outs of your trade from the off set so do the leg work yourself.

Agreed, pretty much as I said.

When in Rome, start by copying the bits you like from other peoples - allegedly.

If you get a brief to draw up terms it will cost you a round about a grand.

We have been "adapting" terms for over 25 years and a month ago decided to get some drawn up to suit our own purposes and this is what we were quoted.

But as I said, all the terms in the world won't get the invoice paid..... :no:

Guest stevebux

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to sit down with the customer and thrash out each others responsibilities, get it all down in writing, then the pair of you read it. make any alterations needed, then both sign up to it.

This will form the basis of your contract with the company, once areas of responsibility have been defined, you will both have a better understanding of each others requirements, and hopfully by doing it this way the a better customer/supplier relationship will be formed.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to sit down with the customer and thrash out each others responsibilities, get it all down in writing, then the pair of you read it. make any alterations needed, then both sign up to it.

This will form the basis of your contract with the company, once areas of responsibility have been defined, you will both have a better understanding of each others requirements, and hopfully by doing it this way the a better customer/supplier relationship will be formed.

Not very practical as most companies have more than one customer.

As others have said work out what you need to cover and want to achieve then discuss it with your solicitor. Copying other peoples is fine assuming of course they got it right to start with and didn't copy someone elses.

Archived