Security Installer Community

Cctv Topic For Professionals

Guest UKEZ

My advice to you would be to employ a consultant who would evaluate your needs and benchmark qualifying systems to your requirements as every salesman at every large system supplier is going to claim they have the best system for your needs.

A matrix score analysis would be the best way for comparing different suppliers. If you require a blank copy of one let me know and I will be happy to email one.

I can recommend two companies who currently do work on Manchester city centre CCTV system.

BT redcare http://www.btredcarevision.com/

Synetics http://www.synectics.co.uk/

I couldnt agree more Rob. Thats been done already, i'm just working along side him at the moment. I'm working along side him and doing my own research at the same time due to the simple fact like you highlighted before, everyone is a potential sales man for certain companys out there and certain consultants at times will also tell you anything to guide you to their acociates suppliers for obvious reasons.

This is the reason im attending a site next week with a Milestone Xprotect Enterprise system setup, so i can get a feel of thier systems and to talk to the sites service engineers and system operators to see how good or bad they consider the Mileston system to be. I think thats probably the best way to go about it for now.

Thanks Guys.. your opinions are appreciated and noted!

(UKEZ @ Mar 29 2006, 03.35 p.m)

... everyone is a potential sales man for certain companys out there and certain consultants at times will also tell you anything to guide you to their acociates suppliers for obvious reasons.

UKEZ

I'm pleased you said 'certain consultants'; some of us are still independent, and personally I won't recommend any individual manufacturer.

For your application, there are only a limited number of top end manufacturers products that will allow you to integrate a legacy system. You should certainly find your site visit next week ... interesting!

As I said before, you really do need to take things carefully before making any firm decisions.

• 3 weeks later...
i don't see very much benefit yet in changing analoguecameras to IP based ones. bear in mind that ethernet cable can't exceed 100m + 10m of patch cable in case of cat5. if you're on cat6 it is 100m including patch cables.

also 100 cameras generate quite a lot of IP traffic. due to bandwith reservation method in ethernet network you get approximately 10% of full capasity --> gigabit network allows you to use 100mbps. depending of the compression method and frame rates that is hardly enough or too little. anyway you would need to separate it from other LAN network.

i would suggest you get DVR's accessible over IP network. march networks DVR's would be ideal since you can easily stack necessary amount of them in case you need (16 milllion is the limit at the moment if im correct). they also support recording from IP cameras as well as analogue ones.

I would tend to agree with georgahti on this.

You don

System Q Ltd.

I have been thinking about this, Networks in general don't alter as much as computer equipment, new network speeds are being introduced now but I don't think the technology will change much more so quickly.

If you look at the customers requirements now and then again in 2 years, if the company is operating in much the same way, then the security should be doing its job as the day it was installed. I think the only difference over this time will be the price, and yes the system will be old technology no doubt, but it should still be fit for its purpose if designed correctly to start with.

I think the technology with CCTV in the future will not only be smaller file sizes and less storage capacity required, but also the intelligence of the CCTV system, with smoke and fire detection via video, and generall cleverness with automatic video analysis.

I have been thinking about this, Networks in general don't alter as much as computer equipment, new network speeds are being introduced now but I don't think the technology will change much more so quickly.

If you look at the customers requirements now and then again in 2 years, if the company is operating in much the same way, then the security should be doing its job as the day it was installed. I think the only difference over this time will be the price, and yes the system will be old technology no doubt, but it should still be fit for its purpose if designed correctly to start with.

I think the technology with CCTV in the future will not only be smaller file sizes and less storage capacity required, but also the intelligence of the CCTV system, with smoke and fire detection via video, and generall cleverness with automatic video analysis.

Hi Rich.

If the analogue cameras a produce good picture quality (at these sites) currently and all sectors such as Fire alarm, Intruder system, Door entry and Comm's systems are going towards IP do you not think you should wait just a little and see how it evolves for a more integrated system?

There is never the

System Q Ltd.

I just added 13 sony IP cameras along with PowerOverEthernet Midspans and a Dell Server with 3.3Tb Raid to a school that already had 38 IP cameras and another 2 servers.

Thats about

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi Rich.

If the analogue cameras a produce good picture quality (at these sites) currently and all sectors such as Fire alarm, Intruder system, Door entry and Comm's systems are going towards IP do you not think you should wait just a little and see how it evolves for a more integrated system?

There is never the

Guest netvisiondvr
My Scenerio@work

I have two large corprate sites that i need to migrate from analogue to a full IP rated Cameras and digital recording system.

Site one has approximately 80 cameras, 80% being PTZ 20% static and coverts.

Site Two has approximately 100 cameras, 80% being PTZ 20% static and coverts.

Boths sites currently use Ultrak (Now Honeywell) Max 1000 Video management systems.

(sites are 1.5miles away from each other)

My aim is to put something in place than can migrate the old systems with todays IP technoligy. Obviously i still want to utilise the old system as before, but also want the inferstructure in place to enable these sites to start using IP cameras and storage. Slowly over periods i'll change the current hard wired systems for IP equipment, depending on my budget.

I need some recommendations on equipment to use, i've found a company called www.milestonesys.com and they look promising, but id like your opinions and recommendations for servers and static and ptz cameras, internal and external.

Professional's ideas for corprate sites not equipment from ebay for your local newsagents please, as i've got to put my name to this project.

I do agree Paul, I was only really thinking about CCTV. Integration is a different matter altogether which certainly needs time to mature.

But regarding IP CCTV, in which people refer to it as IP cameras on a network using servers, it seems a little pointless when compared to analogue cameras and a networked DVR. But like you say, have IP cameras on a network that serves all security applications then there is a much larger scope for IP cameras and how they are used.

I wonder if in 10 years time it will be the norm for security installation companies to offer a complete security solution, cctv, access, intruder, fire and smoke and then their in house computer programmer puts it all together.

Hi Rich.

I agree.

What is needed is a common

System Q Ltd.

Archived