Security Installer Community

Choosing An Installer Familiar With Latest Technology

Guest AlVal

Guest AlVal

Hi, Im in the south east (luton, bedfordshire), and currently have an optima plus 2

i need to upgrade, because I'm automating the garage doors, which will be a pointless exercise unless i upgrade the alarm, cause ill still have to go into the house to unset the alarm before i can open my garage doors! you see the garage doors automatically trigger the alarm unless i use front door first to go into house and unset the alarm.

I could just call out an engineer to make the garage doors act like the front door and give me time to get into the house and unset rather than immediately triggering the alarm, but I figure if i have to go to the expense of calling out an engineer, i might as well upgrade while im at it, since i guess the system here is pretty old now anyway.

my original idea was to ask on here how to reprogram my system to do that, but i guess its not the kind of information freely available to end users.

so then i thought hey why dont I find out what the best system out there is, then compare prices online on the hardware and fit it myself (im a competent programmer and cabling installer although zero knowledge of alarm systems/industry standards)

having spent some time reading the forum, I've moved away from that train of thought, its more about the company/engineer's knowledge than the actual choice of product.

My fear is that I will end up choosing a company/installer who don't do anything more than simple basic systems.

What I really want is a company/installer who will have knowledge and experience with all the latest technologies, and sell them to me at a fair price.

the more i read the more options i see! proximity tags, sms messaging, and mild home automation ( pir-activated lights sounds very cool, id love to integrate this and any other cool features that might be available), integration with fire and smoke sensors are all features i didnt know existed until today.

So I want to choose a company that regularly works with these kinds of advanced setups, and maybe can even offer other trick ideas i hadnt dreamed of.

last question, just how much do some people spend on their residential home installation (mine's a 3 bed detached with seperate detached double garage)? wondering just how expensive things could get! I expect the home automation side of things is where the money starts to rocket.

I

Guest AlVal
my alarm system is wired to control several things in my house, from my lights to my central heating.

Pete

what? you roast the intruders? :P

heh, kidding aside, reply appreciated, any rough guesstimates at what kind of budget should i be considering for a fairly trick system with a few funky options like pir controlled lighting?

Guest AlVal
It would depend on the property, not just the equipment needed.

Have you bought the garage doors yet? If not then try an specify a model which can be controlled by the alarm - probably best to choose an alarm installer then get them to tell the door installer what they want.

Id tell your alarm people that you want the door to be operated by outputs from the alarm, using the alarm fob to open/close the door then also using the same fob (but different channel) to ARM the alarm via a set only code. The way the transmission is more secure, doesntreally matter if the fob is lost as it can be programmed out easily, and you can as many fobs as you like (most garage doors only come with one).

Hope that makes sense.

ah that sounds like a good way to approach the install, but ive already ordered the garage automation, its happening wednesday and is being done using seip tc75 operators http://www.garage-door-automation.co.uk/seip-operators.htm

Guest Guest_alan_*

Why not get another keypad installed in the garage, put delay on garage sensor, then you could set / unset system from garage or house.

• 2 weeks later...

this post is a little old now, but wjhat about using the light output via a contactor from the garage door activator to shunt the garage protection, just a thought! idea stolen from another cleverer than me.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

new panel, keypad at driving height to wind down window and enter code, gardtec keypad with ace and zap it, or as above.. use a relay off the power to the motor of the garge door to unset the alarm by connecting across a zone and programming as a keyswitch

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived