Security Installer Community

Insulation Melted On Cables

jnealon

I was finishing up a job yesterday when the customers friend called in and asked me would I replace a battery for them. I agreed and said that I would call around when I finished up.

Got there and seen the Battery Fault Call Engineer message so I proceeded to replace the battery but when I removed the cover I noticed that all the wires connecting to the zone inputs were melted and some were shorting each other out. The wires came in at the top and the battery was at the bottom along with the trafo.

The panel was an Astec, it's not available in the UK and is a two wire system. Two wires for the bell, two wires for the keypad etc and two wires for the zones. pirs included. I have heard of this once before but never seen it first hand. I got a call a few years back about a europlex verifier with smoke coming out of it and that all the wires were melted, never called me back

Any ideas what would cause this

Jim

Ruling out the careless use of a blowtorch i would assume it must be excessive current generating heat. And can only assume this has been generated by the control panel.

I've seen fire panels blown up by nearby lightning strikes, but only via the mains supply cable, not the peripheral wiring, and some strange things happen to cheap pcb's when batteries are connected up with the wrong polarity.

Is the system still working ? PIRs ok etc ??

:hmm:

I've seen fire panels blown up by nearby lightning strikes, but only via the mains supply cable, not the peripheral wiring, and some strange things happen to cheap pcb's when batteries are connected up with the wrong polarity.

:hmm:

I've seen the exact opposite, panels blown up by it feeding through field wiring, where the mains didn't get a strike (Delta arrestor).

Also seen plenty of multiconductors blown apart, as well as equipment blown off the wall, or a PCB's lands melted onto the inside of the enclosure.

Agree with the other suggestions though. :yes:

I don't think it was lightning as the digi was fine and the wires connecting it were also fine. After asking a few people about this none have ever came across it before. I think may be just a dodgy panel pushing too much current. This would not suprise me as I don't have much faith in this make of panel

I don't think it was lightning as the digi was fine and the wires connecting it were also fine. After asking a few people about this none have ever came across it before. I think may be just a dodgy panel pushing too much current. This would not suprise me as I don't have much faith in this make of panel

As its not available in the uk I assume the obvious that its wired for 240v mains and not 110v which some countries use??????????

If its not lightning and its only the zone input wires then my guess would be mains on the zone wires, S/C to a ringmain maybe and a high draw at that.

If it was the wrong mains fee to the panel then the tranny would be goosed not the zone wiring, dont forget the current draw would be likely to pop the mains input fuse (assuming a 3A fitted).

That reminds me of how we used to stop the bells ringing on a strip out job if it was too much trouble to get to the bell. It stopped the bell mods no problem and i cant recall seeing a cable melt in the process.

Only time i can think of that happening was having a 6AH battery in the car with the leads connected and the bare ends shorting, always would melt the insulation and the smell was awfull, ahhh the good old days eh? :fear:

Edited due to public forum

Guest Alarm Guard
Yes it's 240. This one really has me puzzled. When I replaced the battery it was leaking a bit, but the battery is no where near the cables. I will ring the manufacturer to see what he has to say

Save a phone call. They will say, "We have never heard of this problem before"..... cos they always say the same, all of them!.. ^_^

That reminds me of how we used to stop the bells ringing on a strip out job if it was too much trouble to get to the bell, Stick mains 240v on the bell cable. Stopped the bell mods no problem and i cant recall seeing a cable melt in the process.

Only time i can think of that happening was having a 6AH battery in the car with the leads connected and the bare ends shorting, always would melt the insulation and the smell was awfull, ahhh the good old days eh? :fear:

I did watch the wring loom of a Hilman Imp go up like a scene from Mission Impossible when the battery was connected the wrong way round..... had to get the bus home that night...

Archived