Security Installer Community

H.264 V Other Compression Techiques

Taylormade

I like to keep at the cutting edge of technology and keep upto date on my products, I have noticed LJD have recently released the Colossus range of DVR which uses H.264 compression. The sent me a mail shot which in short said that other compression techniquies were not worth using. System Q also have a new DVR comming out in Feb 06 this uses Jpeg 2000 compression. The new compression seems good but I dont really like to but from LJD.

Has anyone used the particular models I have mentioned or had any experience with the 2 compression formats.

I like to keep at the cutting edge of technology and keep upto date on my products, I have noticed LJD have recently released the Colossus range of DVR which uses H.264 compression. The sent me a mail shot which in short said that other compression techniquies were not worth using. System Q also have a new DVR comming out in Feb 06 this uses Jpeg 2000 compression. The new compression seems good but I dont really like to but from LJD.

Has anyone used the particular models I have mentioned or had any experience with the 2 compression formats.

it is not only the compression that makes good image quality. even if the compression is good the overall quality might suck due to bad capture quality. ie you can compress CIF, 2CIF and 4CIF pictures but overcome is slightly different.

we have one DVR which uses J2000 "compression" :roflmao:

it seems 160GB lasts for few days with only few cameras.. :huh:

it is low-end product so i haven't really invested time to check it in and out but that how it looks at the time.

Basically, what you should be looking at is how much hard drive space you use for 24 hours of the highest quality recording using the different codec's.

The idea of a codec is to reduce filesize when you take any codec and set it to maximum compression you will lose definition and quality, what's the point is compressing CCTV images?

well, you might only want to watch an area monitored by a camera for general movement so you are not bothered whether the camera can see anything, you also might want to access the DVR remotely just to see if there is movement being monitored, so low bandwidth from highly compressed images would be preffered. Other than that then a compressed image on anything other than the highest quality recording available is pretty much a waste of time.

An image being recorded at the highest resolution say in 2CIF at 25 FPS will probably require 100MB an hour using H264. The same quality recording but using a another codec could use 400-500MB an hour.

There are also other ways to keep a high quality image but lower file size, apart from the obvious of motion detection, alarm triggered events or time lapsed and scheduled recording, some machines will allow you to set the rate of the image refresh, so instead of refreshing the image every frame in a second ( CBR - constant baud rate) it only updates the pixels in the previous image that had changed (VBR Variable baud rate) I think its also called conditional refresh. And then there is the option to set the images per second lower, not recommended to go below 16 images per second per camera though.

These settings are in the current DVR365 from SystemQ which uses h264 well.

Guest Robmanchester

LJD have just bought a container load from China

I know I company that will be selling the same units very soon so drop me an email and I will fill you in with more details. FairbairnRbrt@aol.com

For more details check out http://www.hikvision.com

Basically, what you should be looking at is how much hard drive space you use for 24 hours of the highest quality recording using the different codec's.

cheers for the advice, you sound like you know what you are talking about

Guest Robmanchester
LJD were out of stock of more than 50percent of today's order....

Always waiting for the boat to arrive -

New England have some good looking budget product, nice people to deal with too.

info@neinternational.com

Now you know why there prices are so cheap.

They ship by sea to reduce the end cost when most over companies ship by air because there customers don

Archived