Security Installer Community

Gsm And Dialers

Rich

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect a GSM auto dialer to CCTV alarm triggers, but I am also looking for a mobile modem of some sorts, can anyone tell me what equipment I would need to be able to use a standard rs232 modem via a mobile?

D-Link are launching a 3g router next year aparently and this will be ideal, but for now some suggestions on how to acess a DVR with ethernet 10/100 or rs232 modem via mobile networks is what i am after, any ideas/advice appreciated.

cheers

Hi Rich

I've used a nokia 30 gsm modem on the orange network (28.8k using HSCSD ) to access remote dvrs, This is quite straight forward to setup on a pc based dvr using dialup networking ( harder on embeded dvrs). but with the limited bandwith available there is no way of acheving "realtime video" , the best i was able to get with low quality and conditional refresh was about 1 frame every 3-4 seconds

I have enquired about using gprs but no operator will give you a fixed ip address!

cheers Andy,

At the moment I am not too worried about live viewing, but was more interested in just a few stills of an alarm triggered event, ideally have the DVR send 1 minute alarm event footage as a data file to an email address, or really just be able to dial into the mobile and have that connect to the DVR for access remotely to then grab a few smallish data files.

I think this may depend on what the dvr is capable of, some can send emails of still images on alarm but have not seen one that can dial an isp to send the email?(requires network connection)

other dvs can dial out on alarm to a pc with remote software (ive used this method with vista smart disk and works well)

Orange do allow you to use up to 28.8k all other networks are limited to 9k6!!!

Checked the site Ian, theres nothing there I am looking for, aren't they CEF's security division?

I have designed a covert system that only records when the wireless alarms are activated, the system is intended to be installed by the owner easily and quickly for now, in various 3rd party locations, none of which they will have access to a phone line or a network.

The alarm contacts and cameras are all to be wireless, and I will create fool proof hard wired cables for when the wireless isn't going to work. Because there is to be no other access to the recording device it will be in a locked case, but inside will also house the wireless recievers for the cameras and alarm so not sure yet if I will have to make a seperate container for these in a plastic housing on a cable to the box if the recievers won't work through the metal case.

I am looking at using the DVR365 and this allows remote access via LAN/TCPIP and also allows remote connection via a standard modem, but because of the lack of phone line or network access in the locations the system is to be I am looking for alternative solutions.

1. When the alarms are triggered it sends a message to a mobile phone via a GSM dialer or whatever you alarm guys generally use that takes a basic alarm trigger.

2. http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modems.html Connect the DVR to a GSM modem (hopefully) and allow limited access to the DVR and recorded alarm events

3.http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/August2005/1925.htm If and when this arrives next year, hook it up for high speed wireless access over tcp/ip.

So thats basically the long and short of it any ideas?

Checked the site Ian, theres nothing there I am looking for, aren't they CEF's security division?

CEF sell the LookC stuff. I don't think they are connected in any way though.

So thats basically the long and short of it any ideas?

Premicell, 56k modem and\or dial-up router?

Can't say as I've seen a new dial up router for a few years though, I saw one on eBay a while ago though. Might be worth looking at ADSL routers with dial-up backup. Not sure if these will accept an incoming call or not. I know the Netgear FVS338 is something to do with dial up and TCP\IP.

Archived