Security Installer Community

Entry Delay - Transmission Delay

Guest Bernard Wilson

Guest Bernard Wilson

I hope you can help me

I have just moved to Yorkshire and I want to have 2 alarms installed; 1 at home and 1 at my business premises.

I have spoken to 2 local alarm companies, but I am not sure if I have been given good advice.

The problem is to do with the entry door. I am told that if the burglars break in through this door the alarm will not send a signal to the alarm centre. (One surveyor said that it would signal after 30 seconds. The other one said it wouldn't signal at all. Is he right? I don't know)

They said I can't have a special lock fitted because of the type of doors and that the only other way is a keyfob.

It all seems very complex. What should I do? Are there other options?

I hope you can help me

I have just moved to Yorkshire and I want to have 2 alarms installed; 1 at home and 1 at my business premises.

I have spoken to 2 local alarm companies, but I am not sure if I have been given good advice.

The problem is to do with the entry door. I am told that if the burglars break in through this door the alarm will not send a signal to the alarm centre. (One surveyor said that it would signal after 30 seconds. The other one said it wouldn't signal at all. Is he right? I don't know)

They said I can't have a special lock fitted because of the type of doors and that the only other way is a keyfob.

It all seems very complex. What should I do? Are there other options?

Signalling after entry has changed in past years with a regulation known as DD:243 a copy of the guide can be found here http://www.keybury.co.uk/dd243_guide.pdf page 7 is the start of the issue of entry.

Alarm installers install alarms day in/day out. Why would you think that they were misleading you?

Your alarm will probably send an unconfirmed signal to the ARC if the front door is breached but you will only get a police call out if two other independent detectors trigger (confirmed alarm) within a certain amount of time. Those two independent detectors will not be any that are on the entry route. A confirmed alarm can only occur after the expiry of the entry time (if the entrance door is point of activation).

Using fobs is very common. There should be nothing complicated for you - you just need to set and unset the system. The alarm company will take care of the design.

If you do not use fobs, for the most part, then if it is the front door that is the point of breach in a burglary then you will not get a police response at all regardless as to how many detectors activate.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

If you do not use fobs, for the most part, then if it is the front door that is the point of breach in a burglary then you will not get a police response at all regardless as to how many detectors activate.

That's a rather worrying comment. :!:

It implies that all someone has to do is smash your front door in and they can burgle at will, even if it's a fully monitored system!

Are you talking about commercial or domestic?

It implies that all someone has to do is smash your front door in and they can burgle at will, even if it's a fully monitored system!

Are you talking about commercial or domestic?

This has only applied in the last couple of years so earlier systems currently do not have the restriction on entry, and yes it applies to both domestic and commercial. New systems require intelligent design by the installing company and a willingness on the part of the customer to allow the professional installer to specify a secure system.

Why is it worrying? As RJBSEC says, if the system is designed correctly then there won't be a problem. And, using fobs solves most of the problem. If the system is not programmed to use fobs then the panel software will not allow a confirmed alarm to be generated if point of breach is the front door.

This is purely because of people forgetting codes and entering the premises, mothers opening the door to have little kids steam in........with people forgetting how to perform full system resets within the designated time.

It all comes down to professional system design: a combination of understanding the regs and care and thoughtfulness for your clients.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived