Security Installer Community

Ise Alarm

Guest eliza1

We just had some new smoke alarms fitted (had an extension built) and the engineer advised us have a new battery for the burglar alarm. It had been in since 1991 when it was fitted by the previos owner. The alarm is on 'day', we hardly ever put it on. Now on the outside box the lights come on/go off almost all the time. I have already phoned up the company which fitted the alarm (new owner) who is not really interested in coming out. I have tested the alarm and that was okay. Could we just take the battery out? Thanks for any help.

Taking the Battery out isnt going to solve anything, its in there for a reason, which is to keep your system running in the event of a loss of 240v mains power.

If you have a power cut and the battery is defective or missing the external sound will most probably ring under its own battery back up, if your lucky or unlucky depending on your viewpoint.

My advice would be to have the alarm serviced, take out a maintenance contract, contact your insurance company and they will probably offer you a discount which should be close to the value of the maintenance contract and start using the alarm system.

We just had some new smoke alarms fitted (had an extension built) and the engineer advised us have a new battery for the burglar alarm. It had been in since 1991 when it was fitted by the previos owner. The alarm is on 'day', we hardly ever put it on. Now on the outside box the lights come on/go off almost all the time. I have already phoned up the company which fitted the alarm (new owner) who is not really interested in coming out. I have tested the alarm and that was okay. Could we just take the battery out? Thanks for any help.

Are you sure that they are not the flashing LED's that always flash - and that perhaps you have never noticed them before?

When you say the light is flashing - do you mean a strobe flash, or a an LED or 2 LED's flashing at a steady interval?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived