Security Installer Community

Dome Camreas

Taylormade

I have recently bought some VR IR dome cameras from Y3K, they were sold as ceiling/wall mountable, internal/external cameras. The picture was fine during the day but when it got dark, the lense started to mist up, I moved the rubber seal right up to the inside of the dome which helped slightly. One of the cameras which

which is about 3m from the floor & within the 10m IR range gives an OK pic at night, but the others which are much higher, were still foggy until additional lighting was installed.

Thought this had cured faults, but then it started to rain. The cameras are wall mounted and when it rains you cant see a thing as the rain just runs over the lens, someone recomeded rainguard for windscreens, that didnt work.

• What can I do to cure this
  • Are there better cameras on the market or do they all perform this way
  • Would I be better off installing Very low lux cameras

Lee :hmm:

External cameras ideally need ventilation and or heaters to stop them misting up.

As for rain, it sounds like you could do with some sort of rain shield, if the rainguard is no good, I don't think you have many other options.

You would probably have been better off installing housings but unless you use wipers, rain will always be an issue.

Just checking the site, it says they are day night cameras, can you see the cameras switching to B&W in the dark?

Low lux cameras are usually better for night use, but if the area is well lit it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

There are many types of cameras, the ones you have here are pretty much at the budget end, it all depends on how much you want to see, how much light you have, how much protection you need for the cameras and preferences on looks.

External cameras ideally need ventilation and or heaters to stop them misting up.

As for rain, it sounds like you could do with some sort of rain shield, if the rainguard is no good, I don't think you have many other options.

You would probably have been better off installing housings but unless you use wipers, rain will always be an issue.

Just checking the site, it says they are day night cameras, can you see the cameras switching to B&W in the dark?

Low lux cameras are usually better for night use, but if the area is well lit it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

There are many types of cameras, the ones you have here are pretty much at the budget end, it all depends on how much you want to see, how much light you have, how much protection you need for the cameras and preferences on looks.

Thanks Richard,

I have replaced 2 of the Domes with some Y3K cameras 1/4" Panasonic Digital CCD with x-vision G1 DSP because they dont have the rain running down the lens they are a great improvement.

I have not studied the footage to see if they can be seen switching from day to night, will do so on Monday.

Lee :)

Ive got 4 dynamic domes with IR on one site 2 cams fine 2 cams 'smoke' up at night the rubber ring is firmly up against the dome. If i remove the dome at night the cams work fine. I went there friday and swap the actual dome lids and will see tommorow if that has helped.

Over all the cameras give a good picture but you have to fix a base plate - **** idea and the black out in the lid is painted on not movable - **** idea and they are bright silver - **** idea.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Ive got 4 dynamic domes with IR on one site 2 cams fine 2 cams 'smoke' up at night the rubber ring is firmly up against the dome. If i remove the dome at night the cams work fine. I went there friday and swap the actual dome lids and will see tommorow if that has helped.

Over all the cameras give a good picture but you have to fix a base plate - **** idea and the black out in the lid is painted on not movable - **** idea and they are bright silver - **** idea.

My cameras were also OK without the domes, would be interested to see how you get on with new dome lids. When I went to Halfords for the rain guard, they also sold some anti fog application for the inside of the windscreen, maybe worth a try. If that still doesnt work, I may try a bag of silica gel inside the dome.

It's all about the service you can provide to the customer. I'd rather pay £20 more for a camera that will actually turn up when it's supposed to so I can do the job when I told the customer I could, not a fortnight later. I also avoid LJD for the same reasons (plus others) and I put both LJD and Y3K on the same level of uselessness as they have both (IME) been equally poor.

The other suppliers I use are System Q, but havent purchased any cameras off them as yet, just the shotgun cable etc.

I spoke to Norbain earlier this week about a retro fit i have comming up to replace some Baxall monocrome cameras with colour day night and they recomended the Samsung SDN520PH 240VAC COL/BW HI RES AI/DD CAM, This would be the first time I have fitted a camera in an external housing and it is a big job for me so I dont want to install any old dross, the last thing I want is to install a camera and it to be worse than the original. In you opinion would this camera outperform the existing Baxall CD9207 with a 1/2" computar lens, & how do i tell if the lens will be compatable with the new camera.

Any Advice??

Lee

The other suppliers I use are System Q, but havent purchased any cameras off them as yet, just the shotgun cable etc.

I spoke to Norbain earlier this week about a retro fit i have comming up to replace some Baxall monocrome cameras with colour day night and they recomended the Samsung 240VAC COL/BW HI RES AI/DD CAM, This would be the first time I have fitted a camera in an external housing and it is a big job for me so I dont want to install any old dross, the last thing I want is to install a camera and it to be worse than the original. In you opinion would this camera outperform the existing Baxall CD9207 with a 1/2" computar lens, & how do i tell if the lens will be compatable with the new camera.

Any Advice??

Lee

The CD9207

1/3" monochrome, 380 TVL, 0.06 lux, C/CS, AI/DD/EI, 240V AC, 123x66x60mm

The SDN520PH

1/3" 480/520 TVL, BLC, 0.01 lux (B&W) 0.5 lux (colour) OSD, M/D, 240V AC, C/CS, AI/DD/EI, RS232, IR cut, 135x57x55mm

The lens should be a 1/3" Both cameras take C or CS lenses, but although it will work, you will have image clipping. If its the same lens as was on the baxall cameras then the field of view would most likely be the same as before.

As long as the monitor and recording devices can handle 520 TVL then you should see a fair bit of improvement in quality.

Archived