Security Installer Community

"Keyholder Only" Monitoring/Configuration Changes

Guest chrissweet

Guest chrissweet

Hi All

Excellent Site

I'm a Domestic Customer looking at getting a decent alarm system installed (probably Galaxy60 based) quite happy to get it regularly serviced and maintained but don't want to be paying a charge for monitoring via an ARC. Is there a device similar to a Dualcom GSM that can itself regularly check that one or both PSTN and GSM dialtone is available and send an SMS text message to my Keyholders without incuring an annual charge for low level monitoring of the phone line (I assume that the SMShield can't do this)

I have had a national alarm company in to quote but they seem to want to retain total configuration control and charge for any changes - this makes personal remote access to alarm logs and possible future additions like light/appliance control via relay very expensive. I would prefer an alarm system which is more flexible where I can make configuration changes following advice from a competent security adviser (and yourselves of course!)

Apologies if I am not totally knowlegeable of alarm systems am just trying to get to grips with the correct terminology etc.

Thanks

Chris

Professional alarm systems were not meant for use by DIY-ers. The Galaxy is probably the most comprehensive panel designed and unless you know it well you will have problems adding anything to the system.

Why would you want dual-path monitoring on a keyholder only response system? BTW, GSM doesn't have a dial tone. Proper GSM back-ups actually poll between the ARC and the panel. I don't think you will find a DIY system that will do that. The "DIY" GSM "diallers" that I know of don't take PSTN. Hopefully some other members here will be able to point you in the right direction.

What did you mean by "remote access to alarm logs"? How do you propose to achieve that?

IMO, if you find an alarm company to install your system with the idea for you to then do with it as you wish, you will have no guarantees on the system and no doubt the installer would not want to know if anything were to go wrong.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest chrissweet

Hi Zak

I think you may have misread my post here.

I am not intending to do any DIY installation work at all and have not mentioned doing so.

As already appologised for, I am not totally conversant with the alarm terminology and was wondering if there was something similar to SMShield with the additional facility of checking the phone line integrity without the ongoing costs.

By configuration i mean the facility to change/view settings on the alarm system myself using a security code remotely if this is a viable proposition. I live in a rural area with no local police presence and consider an ARC monitored alarm to be of little use considering the time it would take for the police to attend.

As mentioned i am looking for a system with a bit more flexibility but without the ongoing cost of a monitored system - everyone has their own idea of what they want from an alarm system.

I am new to alarms and welcome any constructive discussion which helps guide me in the right direction.

Thanks

Chris

I think the Texecom Premier with Com2400 and GSM Modules fitted, would do what you are asking.

However, no installer (in their right minds) will offer you any kind of guarantee or maintenance contract that would allow you to access the programming of your system.

If a programming change was made that prevented the alarm working properly on a break in, it could be difficult to prove who the changes were made by.

If you don't know......ask.

Hi Zak

I think you may have misread my post here.

I am not intending to do any DIY installation work at all and have not mentioned doing so.

As already appologised for, I am not totally conversant with the alarm terminology and was wondering if there was something similar to SMShield with the additional facility of checking the phone line integrity without the ongoing costs.

By configuration i mean the facility to change/view settings on the alarm system myself using a security code remotely if this is a viable proposition. I live in a rural area with no local police presence and consider an ARC monitored alarm to be of little use considering the time it would take for the police to attend.

As mentioned i am looking for a system with a bit more flexibility but without the ongoing cost of a monitored system - everyone has their own idea of what they want from an alarm system.

I am new to alarms and welcome any constructive discussion which helps guide me in the right direction.

Thanks

Chris

My post wasn't meant to be offensive. You did say though that you wanted to be able to add relays and appliance controls - so I assumed that if you did not want your alarm company to do it then you would be doing it yourself.

Perhaps find an installer who uses the Visonic Powermax +; it may be more what you are looking for.

http://www.visonic.com/VisonicHomePage.nsf...us?OpenDocument

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I think the Texecom Premier with Com2400 and GSM Modules fitted, would do what you are asking.

However, no installer (in their right minds) will offer you any kind of guarantee or maintenance contract that would allow you to access the programming of your system.

If a programming change was made that prevented the alarm working properly on a break in, it could be difficult to prove who the changes were made by.

Why turn him from a Galaxy 60 that will do everything he ever needs and far beats any other panel (waits for the replies :boxing: ), if you put a Galaxy in with a telecom mod you could then have the alarm text you of activations, and a GSM dialler to dial you and give a voice message when the galaxy detects that the line has been cut.

You already mention which panel you would like stick with that, although i would recommend a Galaxy G3-144 which is the new replacement for a Galaxy 60, or if you could wait, early in the new year they are bring out a Galaxy G3-72.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Why turn him from a Galaxy 60 that will do everything he ever needs and far beats any other panel (waits for the replies :boxing: )

Just for ease really. The Premier GSM module advertises dualpath signalling which I assume will also alert on low signal. To use a galaxy you'd need a 3rd party GSM module.

For a non monitored house I think it would be easier and cheaper.

obviously stick with galaxy for monitored/commercial.

If you don't know......ask.

To use a galaxy you'd need a 3rd party GSM module.

For a non monitored house I think it would be easier and cheaper.

obviously stick with galaxy for monitored/commercial.

No - Galaxy do a new panel with GSM onboard

No - The new range of panels are at a cost to equal or better most panels now on the market

Stick with Galaxy for monitored/commercial, Why ? they now have the G2 which is aimed at domestics.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Archived