Security Installer Community

SD1 Speech Dialer/9448+ & new Broadband connection

Guest JD

Hi all, have come across this site and found a true gem of a place. Keep up the good work !!!

Hope someone can help me out...I have a query about how my SD1 will work with my ADSL broadband when my BT line gets activated next week. Any ideas on whether the alarm will continue to work with no probs or will I need to take any necessary measures ?

:hmm:

It *may* continue to work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't as it's not supposed to work without a microfilter fitted to it somewhere, whether that's at a central location or per device. `

If you have a maintaining company then contact them to arrange a filter to be fitted to the diallers line.

Wow wasn't expecting such a fast response....

The microfilters are on the way with my modem/router (I actually ordered one spare !!!).

However all I can see are wires from the dialler connecting up to the main BT socket, where at the front plate I also have my line extensions running to the upstairs. Would the microfilter simply be connected at the main socket into the house ?

JD

Depends, you can get faceplate filters which replace the lower half of a new style BT master socket with a filter. This does require some wiring modifications if you want to use the ADSL modem anywhere else but by the master socket.

The other option is to filter the dialler seperately with an inline filter. ADSL Nation have a good selection of ADSL filters and sockets.

OK, it WILL still work, but when the speech dialler dials out it will drop any broadband connection as it blocks the adsl signal on the line, chances are you won't be around to be using the broadband when the dialler calls so I wouldn't worry. To do the job properly as Lurch said fit a microfilter plate socket... but I wouldn't worry too much. For anyone else looking at this (installers) the only thing for the fileters... if you have a poanel with modem which you need to dial into for remote access the line to the panel will need a microfilter in place.... this had caught me out once in the early days of broadband.. hope this helps

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

OK, it WILL still work, but when the speech dialler dials out it will drop any broadband connection as it blocks the adsl signal on the line

Not neccesarily, it may drop the ADSL connection during a voice call but it may just as likely not work at all, either voice and\or ADSL. I wouldn't recommend not fitting a filter as line conditions can change and throw up problems later.

He he he.... I must be fitting decent ones then!!! Not had a problem yet!!!... in fact I have an SD1+ installed here on an adsl line with no filter and works a treat!

Seriously. Never got a single one to dial out without a filter. Its that reverse Midas touch I`ve got!

Trade Full Member

Archived