Security Installer Community

Optima xm packed in

Guest matthewaquinn

Guest matthewaquinn

I have an Optima XM and last week it was working fine, I re-decorated, took up carpet and found a cable to one of the sensors ( I assume) I didnt know at first and thought it was old phone cable so I cut it.

Two of the sensors died so I re connected the wires and they came back on.

The carpet fitter came and now all sensors are dead, when I tried to set the alarm all 4 zones flash up and none of the sensors flash red any more.

I have taken the carpet up and checked for breaks in the cable but I cant see any?

I am going to get the carpet fitter round as I assume they are insured for this but for a quick fix how do I diagnose the problem myself?

The auxilary fuse inside the panel feeding the 12v to the pirs has almost certainly blown, i would strongly recommend you call your installing company to confirm and fix the problem or post your location so someone on here can help you.

I would urge you not to open up the main control panel

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest roonster

yup, i guess if he hasnt got the engineers code it could be a problem.

But if its the fuse as monteey suggests (which it probably is, as 12v and ov have probably shorted out somewhere) then its really a simple job.

But no engineers code means system will go into full alarm when the lid is removed.

But if he has it then simply key it in. Turn mains power off 1st. Remove lid. Alarm shouldnt go off. If it does you aint in engineers mode.

Remove battery connections. you'll see most likely 2 fuses.

One is battery fuse, other is 12v Aux fuse. Look to see if the thin wire going through he fuse has broken/looks burnt out.

If so replace fuse.

PS, im not sure if you really have to remove the battery to replace the fuse. If you do though you'll have to find the kick start pins on your box to re-start your system.

Alarm will ring when you short the kick start pins. Key in access code. Replace lid.

TEst system to see it if works now.

Guest roonster

Not that im quoting any manuals specifically, but what ive wrote is from the scantronic 9751 manual and also the diy alarm maintanance pages on this site.

Whatever your quoting bears little or no resemblence to an Optima, i think in this situation the best course of action is for the system to be checked over by an engineer as simply replacing the fuse without solving the cause will be counterproductive

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest roonster

sorry chaps.

I assumed the cause of the problem was due to short between 12v and 0v as it has already been cut once and then the carpet man came and he may have cocked it up by putting somthing thorugh the cable. Hence fuse possible blown

I guess the fault in the cable should be found 1st before going any further regarding fuses etc. Could just be a staple or something which has broken cable

Not that im quoting any manuals specifically, but what ive wrote is from the scantronic 9751 manual

66783[/snapback]

Oxymoron? like Pretty Ugly or Microsoft works :whistle:

The best way to attack this would be to get the installing co in to repair it, especially as it is more than likely an insurance claim.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest roonster
Oxymoron? like Pretty Ugly or Microsoft works  :whistle:

The best way to attack this would be to get the installing co in to repair it, especially as it is more than likely an insurance claim.

Regards

Bellman

66786[/snapback]

thanks m8, learnt a new word today! :P

Oxymoron - two words that contradict each other. lovely word. cheers.

AOL High-Speed :P

Living Dead :huh::P

Nice

sorry chaps.

I assumed the cause of the problem was due to short between 12v and 0v as it has already been cut once and then the carpet man came and he may have cocked it up by putting somthing thorugh the cable. Hence fuse possible blown

I guess the fault in the cable should be found 1st before going any further regarding fuses etc. Could just be a staple or something which has broken cable

66785[/snapback]

this is possible but it could also be a short between 12v and tamper or 12v and zone loop, or a crushed cable or a cut cable.

replacing fuses willy nilly is curing the symptem, not the cause.

your on the right lines though

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived