Security Installer Community

I have a cat - which pet immune PIRs?

Guest Lipton

Guest Lipton

Hi there,

I moved into this house about 5 years ago. It has an ADE Accenta 8 mini panel. We have a cat :cry:. To begin with we had several false alarms and I replaced a number of PIRs with pet immune sensors (K940s). In 4 years since, maybe only 1 or 2 false alarms, and those not necessarily down to moggie...

For a number of reasons (hooking up garage, new double glazing, redecorating etc) I am upgrading. I have pretty much decided on a Texecom Premier panel with Odyssey sounder plus some other bits. The house is largely wired with 6 core cable and from what I can determine the PIRs are in reasonably good positions, although I may re-position a couple. I am reasonably competent and have fitted a couple of C&K 800L panels/systems in other properties I own.

My question is what are currently the best technologies or recommendations for pet-immune PIRs? I kinda think dual technology is the way to go... I have read a number of discussions about pet immune sensors on here, but none really conclusive - and at the end of the day the moggie is staying and I need to find the best solution to facilitate this.. the existing PIRs have been OK, but I figured technology has probably moved on and I could replace...

Texecom have a range called 3D petwise. I haven't been able to find a thread specifically about the Texe 3D range... is this holographic technology real or is it marketing hype?

I would appreciate any advice.. thanks!

The only times I have had any calls about pet proof detectors are when the installer didn't read the paperwork that came with the detector regarding siting of the detector.

For domestic purposes I would probably say they are all as good as each other.

I will never forget the time a lady customer came out of her bedroom and down the stairs with a very short skirt on while I was crawling on all fours round the hallway !

(I was testing to see if the petproof pir would pick up her dog) :blink:

Visonic K-940's are widely used, as are the 980's, the larger version. Visonic is a reputable brand (and they are not that ugly as detectors go). As you are not "trade" you won't have access to all brands anyway, so maybe you should see what you can get and then make a choice from those (you can post here and ask advice then...).

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest roonster
The only times I have had any calls about pet proof detectors are when the installer didn't read the paperwork that came with the detector regarding siting of the detector.

For domestic purposes I would probably say they are all as good as each other.

I will never forget the time a lady customer came out of her bedroom and down the stairs with a very short skirt on while I was crawling on all fours round the hallway !

(I was testing to see if the petproof pir would pick up her dog) :blink:

66552[/snapback]

was she fit? :P

Ditto the above (been using that saying a bit latley now i know what it means) After peter and a couple of others recommending me the bosch i fitted it to my house with a fat stafford and it works a treat. Im not a big fan of its looks but at the end of the day it does its job well, end of. The bosch is off the hook. (a few BB sayings there.) I detector i replaced with the bosch was a petwise but that was down to the dog being over the weight limit i think with a cat you should be fine RTM.

Although the visonic is a decent brand i dont like their pet version, no wonder there is no FAs most of it is blanked off.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Although the visonic is a decent brand i dont like their pet version, no wonder there is no FAs most of it is blanked off.

66727[/snapback]

You are probably right!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Thanks for these suggestions..

Has anyone used the Texecom 3D.? I like the sound of the Holographic technology and their website says it is the best thing since sliced bread...

I see what you mean about the Visionic pet immune, half the lens is blanked out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deryck Tintagel

I have used the 3D Petwise but have bought the RX40PT to replace them!

I have not had a problem with the Petwise false alarming but then again the coverage wasn't that good. I bought not long after they came onto the market so they may have improved them since then.

Archived