Security Installer Community

Wirefree Alarm

Guest 1sttimebuyer

Guest 1sttimebuyer

Hi

I am on a small budget and looking for a an alarm. Obviously to keep costs down, I am after a wirefree one which I am hoping to install it myself.

I know a lot of people here do not like wirfree alarms as they are a pain to maintain but considering I will be checking for low betteries etc and making sure it is fucntioning, is there a decent alarm with an autodialer that is reliable? I have also heard some wirfree alarms can be disabled by buglars etc, is that true?

Thanks all for your help.

Hi

I am on a small budget and looking for a an alarm. Obviously to keep costs down, I am after a wirefree one which I am hoping to install it myself.

I know a lot of people here do not like wirfree alarms as they are a pain to maintain but considering I will be checking for low betteries etc and making sure it is fucntioning, is there a decent alarm with an autodialer that is reliable? I have also heard some wirfree alarms can be disabled by buglars etc, is that true?

Thanks all for your help.

66406[/snapback]

Wirefree doesn't keep costs down unless they are of the B&Q variety. Apart from the dumbed down Visonic Powermax sold by BT, I don't think that anything else is really "DIY". You may be surprised at how economical a professionally installed hard-wired system is and perhaps it is something to consider.

When you say "DIY", do you mean strictly plug and play, or something more advanced? Cheap wireless is pretty much ****. Professional wireless costs more than a wired system - some installers absolutely refuse to use them whilst others don't mind. Always hard wired over wireless unless circumstances dictate.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

The problem is that the word "wire free" and "budget" do not really go together,if you must go wirefree in our trade we would always go for the best which is not seen as a cheap option but an expensive option which must be taken due to site circumstances!I would recommend you go for hard wired and for the sake of saving for a while search out three NSI approved companies and ask for quotes you may be surprised by the prices!.If you invest wisely it will serve you fault free for years but unwisely and you will end up with a pile of junk fit only for the bin

Cannot answer any questions about defeating any alarm for obvious reasons!

This is only my opinion and some of the other guys may give you different advise, none of it will be wrong but at least you will have different ideas to think about!!!Hope its helped? :yes: Paul.

Guest wm1976

Ok, I take on board the comment about wired winning everytime. I work with networks and see wireless (wi-fi) as not substitute for cat5. But what about a hybrid system? Can you mix and match say a wired and mains powered sounder and panel but wireless PIRs for the far reaches of the property. Are there any available? PS: My house points northwards toward several trees.

If you had to go for wirelss, which brands are the better (if you can say)?

First of all, (excuse me SECBOY B)), but you need to choose either an NSI or SSAIB registered company :yes:

Regarding hybrid, you will need to go to a professional installer. There are several very decent hybrid systems if you have to have part wired and part wireless. GardTec is one. But these are not DIY panels and are not available to the public. Bosch also has one. We use both. I am sure other members will let you know what they use.

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest 1sttimebuyer

hhhmmm...

the main reason going for wirefree is oviously I may be able to do it myself. The other reason is that I have recetly decorated and didn't want to see any cables plus laminate in bedrooms would mean cables going around the door frames etc.

I also need the autodialer and multi zone alarm...some people have recommended the ESP Infinite and Scantronic...

Not sure now...

ESP is fully wireless and I think it also has a wireless external bell module. Scantronic is wireless but certain bits of it have to be wired in. However, neither of these panels are DIY in the plug and play sense. If you have some knowledge of these things then fine, but if you just want to be able to take it out of a box, drill a couple of holes and then voila, it will not happen.

And, alarm systems, really, should be professionally maintained. You might even get a discount from your insurance company :unsure:

It is a shame that you didn't think of the alarm before you decorated. But then, most people don't :no:

Archived