Security Installer Community

Suggestions for new alarm kit for small apartment

Guest beowulf_pt

Guest beowulf_pt

Hello all,

I have little or no experience with alarm kits but am thinking about buying something for my place. Any tips will be great.

Some info:

-I want to protect a 5th floor apartment with fairly small divisions. 4 rooms in total, each with one window. Plus the main door.

-Ideally, I'd prefer a wireless kit.

-I have zero experience with alarms or alarm kits, but would prefer to buy it and install it myself if possible. :blink:

Main requirements would be

-being fairly easy to install/having decent tech support/documentation

-reliable (no false alarms, not very easy to cancel)

-with some kind of GSM capability so I can be warned by SMS or voice when the thing goes off (I do not have a phone line installed so a GSM SIM card is the only way).

-With the ability to disconnect an area, for instance to stay in the bedroom at night while the rest of the house is active.

-Ability to monitor the battery status of the sensors easily without having to keep testing/hoping they're working.

-I cannot afford any solution over 700 euros at the time.

I've seen the Honeywell Domonial brochure and it seems similar to what I wanted but I do not know how good it is.

Any brand/kit/place to order internationally suggestions are welcome.

Also, are these wireless systems easier to jam or bypass than regular cable systems?

Thanks,

Some info:

-Ideally, I'd prefer a wireless kit.

Thanks,

66251[/snapback]

:no:

Some info:

Also, are these wireless systems easier to jam or bypass than regular cable systems?

Thanks,

66251[/snapback]

:yes:

NEVER EVER trust to WIRELESS **** :!:

I've seen the Honeywell Domonial brochure and it seems similar to what I wanted but I do not know how good it is.

Any brand/kit/place to order internationally suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

66251[/snapback]

The Domonial is not a bad panel, you could also look at the Scantronic's "Homelink 75 Wirefree system" :yes:

Homelink75

Both are class 6 systems with GSM capability..

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Have you fitted any domonial panels then?

We had the demo but I am still not really convinced ;)

I have heard they are a bit of a pain to program but seemed straight forward when they gave us the demo, Bit of an outlay for the PDA though :yes:

Not sure if I would want one in my own house, Still prefer my good old Galaxy :yes:

Hmm, can you elaborate on that negative opinion?

66256[/snapback]

i could if i would but this particular opinion has been discussed SO many times within this forum that i don't want to repeat myself for a while.

so you must use the search tool now.

shortly:

wireless can be jammed with less than ÂŁ5 equipment. searching of the jammer needs ÂŁ5000+ equipment.

i could if i would but this particular opinion has been discussed SO many times within this forum that i don't want to repeat myself for a while.

so you must use the search tool now.

shortly:

wireless can be jammed with less than ÂŁ5 equipment. searching of the jammer needs ÂŁ5000+ equipment.

66265[/snapback]

That would be why most modern panels have Jamming detection built in and as with any alarm system responds accordingly.

Georg, you like any other forum member is entitled to an opinion on a product, but when you make predjudiced and uninformed posts without actually having used the current range of wireless equipment.

Also there are load of **** wireless panels on the market, also a lot of good ones, likewise there are a load of **** wired systems on the market, also a lot of good ones. To simply say wireless is **** because it can be jammed is like saying wired is cap because it can be tampered.

Both wired and wirless systems have there uses.

Out of interest Georg, exactly how many wired systems have you installed and over what period and what types, what do you base your opinion on? or is this infromed opinion from bench tests etc.

We had the demo but I am still not really convinced  ;)

I have heard they are a bit of a pain to program but seemed straight forward when they gave us the demo, Bit of an outlay for the PDA though  :yes:

Not sure if I would want one in my own house, Still prefer my good old Galaxy  :yes:

66262[/snapback]

From the ones we have installed, they function well and initial problems with battery life have been resolved. Like any new panel programming is a pain, until you get to know it, Laptop is best though. Did honeywell do the Demo, the PDA was cheap enough ;)

Galaxy are best, but the Domonial is recieving a good reception from customers.

That would be why most modern panels have Jamming detection built in and as with any alarm system responds accordingly.

Georg, you like any other forum member is entitled to an opinion on a product, but when you make predjudiced and uninformed posts without actually having used the current range of wireless equipment.

Also there are load of **** wireless panels on the market, also a lot of good ones, likewise there are a load of **** wired systems on the market, also a lot of good ones. To simply say wireless is **** because it can be jammed is like saying wired is cap because it can be tampered.

Both wired and wirless systems have there uses.

Out of interest Georg, exactly how many wired systems have you installed and over what period and what types, what do you base your opinion on? or is this infromed opinion from bench tests etc.

66267[/snapback]

Oh Col,

I do not use wireless equipment BECAUSE IT IS ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(that is meant to be shouted to your ear with maximum voice level i can produce)

there is no prejudgement just judgement.

of course every wireless **** has an antijam feature, but didn't i say quite clearly that the detection gear for the jammer COSTS ÂŁ5000+ !!???!??!??!!!!?? ****************************************************************************

tampered wired **** doesn't need special tools to find the fault and can be fixed easily + leaves a clear stamp it has been tampered with a purpose (unlike wireless **** that are situated close to taxi ranks there).

wireless has its very little use while wired is being installed.

how many wireless systems have i installed? two many!

(and that means two (2) if you got lost in translation)

Come on fellas, lets not start mud slinging, keep it calm and rational

Thats what I like a nice calm rational explanation as to why Wireless is **** ;)

***********************************************************************************

You were asked to explain your position, of which you seam clearly unable to do so.

Wirless do have a place in the marketplace, manufacturers didn't just dream up the idea overnight. The industry is evolving and so is equipment, its a fact and you have to except it.

If your really saying your basing your opinion on TWO systems, well that really does explain allot.

Lets calm down a bit and be nice :)

Both previous posts edited to keep things on track, try to be nice fellas.

Handbags at ten paces is only at the weekends :whistle:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Get a life Chris, that was not needed!

Only trying to keep the forums a happy place Col.

Sorry you feel that way but was trying to stop slanging match developing

Comment left for others to see.

Regards

Bellman

We had the demo but I am still not really convinced  ;)

I have heard they are a bit of a pain to program but seemed straight forward when they gave us the demo, Bit of an outlay for the PDA though  :yes:

Not sure if I would want one in my own house, Still prefer my good old Galaxy  :yes:

66262[/snapback]

We have installed a few domonial systems with no problems,also got a free PDA with the first one we fitted.

Regards

Bellman

Comments that were made are now a row of stars, there was nothing wrong with my post, it was not offensive or abusive, it didn't contravene the forum rules, you had no justification in editing my post.

If the MODERATING team seek to edit and change posts that do not contravene the forums rules then you will only DRIVE MEMBERS AWAY and PUT THEM OFF POSTING.

You now make refference to say that the comments were left, when clearly they were not. It now seems that the moderators sign up to another set of rules other than the PUBLIC ones that the rest of us have to acknowledge.

You were wrong to edit the post, at least have the balls to admit it.

Regards

Bellman

66283[/snapback]

Just a small suggestion for the mods

When editing a post is it possible to add:

Edit: then add comments etc, just makes it a bit easier to see what's been changed :yes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

No Col, I left your comment to me. not the argument between you and Georg.

Do we have to have this strop everytime somebody edits a post?

Get your facts right in future please.

Regards

Bellman

Just a small suggestion for the mods

When editing a post is it possible to add:

Edit: then add comments etc, just makes it a bit easier to see what's been changed :yes:

66299[/snapback]

I'll take that on board Paul, I usually add an explanation as to why things have been edited and for what reason.

Regards

Bellman

No Col, I left your comment to me. not the argument between you and Georg.

Do we have to have this strop everytime somebody edits a post?

Get your facts right in future please.

Regards

Bellman

66301[/snapback]

WEll it was as clear as mud, oh and by that statement then my comment to you warranted being edited then :no:

This is the first time i have has a "strop" as to my post being edited, and your quite correct we should get our facts right, There was no arguement between me and Georg, georg made a personal refference to my eyesight and i simply remarked that there was no need to be personal, nothing more nothing less.

And yes it is becomming the regular thing for members to query the actions of the moderating team, wonder why?

It doesn't matter how you try to explain it, you were wrong to edit the posts, however as Moderator of course you won't admit that will you, and of course the way you have edited the posts, none of the membership will be able to judge for themselves, but their not allowed their own opinions.

Our forums are moderated and moderators hold the right to edit, move, close or delete any thread they feel is inappropriate. Once a topic is edited/moved/closed/deleted, members are not allowed to start new ones with the same topic or to question why a specific thread has been edited/moved/closed/deleted. All questions or remarks regarding edited/moved, closed or deleted threads must be e-mailed privately to the moderator who performed this action. Further any discussion of these rules is to be held through the Administrators or Moderators, via e-mail, and not on the forums themselves.

If you don't like these rules, please don't post. If you break these rules, we reserve the right to revoke your posting privileges. Remember, posting here is a privilege and not a right.

Just to Quote the rules..

Sorry Colin, but if Bellman deemed it necessary to edit posts, then as a Moderator of this site he is expected to do so.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

WEll it was as clear as mud, oh and by that statement then my comment to you warranted being edited then :no:

I'll remove it if you wish, I was trying to stop it boiling over before it started.

This is the first time i have has a "strop" as to my post being edited, and your quite correct we should get our facts right, There was no arguement between me and Georg, georg made a personal refference to my eyesight and i simply remarked that there was no need to be personal, nothing more nothing less.

Err, I think you'll find that it has happened on several occasions,

And for the record, it wasn't what was said, it was the context in which it was implied.

And yes it is becomming the regular thing for members to query the actions of the moderating team, wonder why?

err, again, only usually you query the moderators actions, I personally feel you like to pick holes in things and try to cause arguments. but that's just my opinion ;)

It doesn't matter how you try to explain it, you were wrong to edit the posts, however as Moderator of course you won't admit that will you, and of course the way you have edited the posts, none of the membership will be able to judge for themselves, but their not allowed their own opinions.

66307[/snapback]

I strongly disagree, I was quite correct to edit them and just because that dosn't suit things in "Colins world" we now have you stropping, try to remember that moderators decision is final as per the board rules.

Have a great day :)

Regards

Bellman

err, again, only usually you query the moderators actions, I personally feel you like to pick holes in things and try to cause arguments. but that's just my opinion 

Yes your opinion, but we can always hide behind that old chesnut.I have not had any moans about the moderators in weeks on these forums, please do not imply otherwise.

Yes you can hide behind the rules.

and yes i can revise my opinion of that your simply an ://.B.W.F.//: when moderating.

No doubt i will get a warning for this post, but hey thats to be expected, even although the smiley is provided by the sites owner ;)

Oh and Dave I did PM Chris privately with what i thought, he choose not to reply. Perhaps the moderators should read the rules and acknowledge that they have read and understood them just like the ordinary members have too. :whistle:

Back on track (a bit)

Col, do you know something I don't mate? Probably  :yes:

I can also say that our clients are more than happy with their Domonials

Chris

66321[/snapback]

But as my Critics on these forums would say "I know nothing" and if my posts will be edited for NO VALID REASON and the moderators will hide behind the rules whats the point in participating.

One very pee'd of member.

:bye:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived