Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800

Guest jackiec

Guest jackiec

I have a Scantronic 9800 installed by myself in 1991. No problems over the years but now the external surge purge has blown. Whilst a new one was on order, in engineering mode, I removed mains and battery power from the control panel to by-pass the surge purge. When I restored both mains and battery power to the panel, although there is power going into the 2 remote key pads, the green power light is not illuminated nor is the red service LED. Therefore I am unable to key 99 to get out of engineering mode. I have tried to reboot the RKPs by powering the control panel down, waiting 10 mins and then powering up. I have also tried removing each of the wires on the back of the RKP and waiting a while before reconnecting but to no avail.

Any ideas???

Guest jackiec

Yes. Have performed the "Engineer test functions" on a regular basis as per the 9800 installation manual.

So that's a no then. That's a bit like saying yes I service my car regularly, I open and close the drivers door and flash the lights.

It needs a proper service on an annual basis otherwise you eventually get problems like this. The 9800 is a good panel, but not indestructable. It still needs a regular service, as do all pieces of equipment.

I would seriously recommend you get an engineer to service the system correctly. If you post your location there may be an engineer in your area reading the board.

Guest jackiec

Point(s) taken and noted. If I refresh the NVM to restore the panel to factory default, will this reboot the RKP's ??

Seriously, if I told a mechanic that the engine in my car won't start but that I checked the alternator, the battery and the fuel, and then asked him why it won't start without him looking at it, do you think he might be able to tell me?

When a keypad crashes, often doing what you did (removing power) can cure it- if it is not a serious fault (that seems to work with most items!). But now that you have exhausted all simple possibilities, you will need an engineer with a multimeter and experience to fault find and repair.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived