Security Installer Community

BT Home Monitor VP1000

Guest Mark I

Guest Mark I

I'm very attracted by the idea of being able to receive emails, SMS etc to tell me that my monitoring system has detected an intruder or fire. Reading the chat indicates the response i'm going to get is 'don't touch it with a barge pole'. Please explain the issues here? Can I find anyone prepared to fit this system?

Thanks

Wired systems are genrally more reliable and less prone to false alarms or failed to alarm problems.

Wired systems can come with the features you outlined plus more.

I'm very attracted by the idea of being able to receive emails, SMS etc to tell me that my monitoring system has detected an intruder or fire.  Reading the chat indicates the response i'm going to get is 'don't touch it with a barge pole'.  Please explain the issues here?  Can I find anyone prepared to fit this system?

Thanks

59424[/snapback]

The system you have quoted is completely self-install for DIY. It is a dumbed down Visonic Powermax system that BT commissioned (from Visonic) for them to sell, packaged under the BT brand. BT then use a third party "alarm receiving centre" at a cost to you of £5 per month in order for you to receive alerts.

The Visonic brand is quite high quality. Professional installers don't often fit DIY kits (if at all), but if you do a search online for for "Powermax" you will come up with about 3 companies who sell the product on line, one of which seems to offer professional installation at an additional cost. I would say though, that for the cost, if you then pay extra for installation, you may as well get a professional hard wired system installed instead. :yes:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest Mark I

2 additional pieces of info' not supplied in the original note. 1) My insurance insists that I have a system installed and maintained by either NACOSS, ICON or SSAIB approved installer. 2) As I work for BT, I get a subsantial discount (33%) on this system. Is it still likely to work outmore expensive?

Thanks for the initial response.

2 additional pieces of info' not supplied in the original note.  1) My insurance insists that I have a system installed and maintained by either NACOSS, ICON or SSAIB approved installer. 2) As I work for BT, I get a subsantial discount (33%) on this system.  Is it still likely to work outmore expensive?

Thanks for the initial response.

59433[/snapback]

hhmmn - I don't think you will find anyone on here that will install, certify and maintain a system that they did not provide themselves. The kit you mention is DIY. I am not sure if anyone will certify it although I stand to be corrected. We (our company) certainly would not install something that we did not supply - if equipment goes faulty it would be your responsibility and the installation company would have to charge you for call outs/repairs/replacement, which you would not want to pay for. :no:

Also bear in mind that a DIY system would not be insurance approved regardless of who fits it.

Yes, your DIY system will be cheaper, but it was not designed for the situation you require it for.

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

hhmmn - I don't think you will find anyone on here that will install, certify and maintain a system that they did not provide themselves. The kit you mention is DIY. I am not sure if anyone will certify it although I stand to be corrected. We (our company) certainly would not install something that we did not supply - if equipment goes faulty it would be your responsibility and the installation company would have to charge you for call outs/repairs/replacement, which you would not want to pay for.  :no:

Also bear in mind that a DIY system would not be insurance approved regardless of who fits it.

Yes, your DIY system will be cheaper, but it was not designed for the situation you require it for.

59440[/snapback]

Quoted For Agreement.

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

i have used several top manufactures' wireless equipment but can't say i'am impressed by any of them, you don't seem to get much for your money. Never had any problems with false alarms though.

i have used several top manufactures' wireless equipment but can't say i'am impressed by any of them, you don't seem to get much for your money. Never had any problems with false alarms though.

59443[/snapback]

I don't think this chap needs a wireless system - it is just that he can get a good price on a particular wireless system.

hhmmn - I don't think you will find anyone on here that will install, certify and maintain a system that they did not provide themselves. The kit you mention is DIY. I am not sure if anyone will certify it although I stand to be corrected. We (our company) certainly would not install something that we did not supply - if equipment goes faulty it would be your responsibility and the installation company would have to charge you for call outs/repairs/replacement, which you would not want to pay for.  :no:

59440[/snapback]

just fit a dummy box....have a look on ebay.....

i know i know.... ;) couldnt resist it :P

Archived