Security Installer Community

I want to get into CCTV and installation/Servicing

Guest Mike

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice.

I wish to change my career and get into security installation preferably around CCTV. i do not have any qualifications at the moment and very little experience. I have some knowledge of how to operate a CCTv system at my present job where I regulary go through the CCTV to aid security and the facilities department of any wrong doings that have arised, eg staff theft. The equipment i use is Dedicated micros. I also create security passes using the velocity software for staff to gain access around the building. How ever i have no experience of installation. I have enquired about courses at Tavcom, was considering doing the online foundation CCTV course but I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time and money on the wrong course or explore a more beneficial avenue. Should I pursue one of the other courses at Tavcom such as CCTV installation if I'm strapped for cash and would give me a better footing. I do basic audio visual at my current job and troubleshoot basic printer, photocopiers and IT problems so I am quite hands on. I'm also 28 so bit old to doing an apprenticeship and some companies have replied back saying I'm lacking the experience they require which most seem to want minimum of 2-3 years.

Any help of advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

do you have any experience in running cables, trunking , etc.?

i would suggest that you contact a local sole trader firm to see if they are looking for an assistant engineer first so you can learn the basics.

hope this is of help to you

Martin

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

If you can find a company that will take you on then they may provide you with the training course, really depends how they percieve you, best thing would be to call in off the street to companies and ask for vacancies.

To get experience then I agree with Martin, offer your services to a subbie and get some practice in and experience before approaching a company.

Tavcom are highly reccomended for the training you require, if you put yourself on the basic cctv installation trainig course over a few days, its a good way to start networking in this industry, the guys at Tavcom will probably know of companies close and may help you get a foot in t'door.

I have experience of assisting the IT department in Network cables and routing to workstations via switches and hubs. I also helped in cabling AudioVisual equipment in the conference rooms but thats about it in terms of cabling experience. I will approach any local or nearby firms and see if they are looking for assistant engineers and also consider the Tavcom Foundation in CCTV, I might be only able to do the distance learning method. Thanks for your advice chaps.

Archived