Security Installer Community

ADE Karizma system dead

Guest Jatinder

Guest Jatinder

Hi all, I installed my ADE Karizma alarm about 10 years ago and then about two days ago we had a power cut for about 5 minutes and since then the alarm system is dead. The Alarm went off for a few seconds then stopped - I guess this is probably because the NiCad in the bell box needs replacing (I did set it to ring for upto 15 mntues).

Anyway, there is nothing being displayed on the keypad and the power is reaching it, the 13V was OK. I checked the main panel and the 13V is OK too but this drops to about 6V when I remove the AC (again battery probably needs to be replaced).

The system is ID based, the PIR LEDs are working ie detecting movement but I guess this due to power supplied only.

Questions

1 - what part of the system has died, the keypad or main panel?

2 - Can the main panel and keyboard be replaced by a better unit which uses the ID based sensors?

3 - is this a common fault with Karizma systems?

4 - is there an easy fix??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jatinder

The battery is pulling the rest of the panel down voltage wise, and it may have/could damage the Panel, get someone local to you to call out and have alook at it as they may be able to save the system and service it rather than replacing it for you.

I take it it hasn't been serviced since the day it was installed. Get a pro in, post your location, someone may be able to help you.

Guest Peter James

The battery in the control panel should of been replaced 6 years ago. You may find that replacing the battery corrects this problem but my guess is the charging circuit is now well past its sell by.

Your system should be regularly serviced to prevent these sorts of problems, I agree with the above statements get a pro to look at it, he will at least tell you if its worth replacing the battery, or whether the cpu has had it.

Pete

Guest Guest

Thanks for all responses.

Are you saying the battery charger circuit going faulty has caused the unit to not now respond? Please explain (i'm an electronic engineer).

What specifically do installers do when "servicing" a panel exactly?

cheers, Jatinder

Are you saying the battery charger circuit going faulty has caused the unit to not now respond? Please explain (i'm an electronic engineer).

cheers, Jatinder

55361[/snapback]

No the faulty battery has cause the panel not to respond, as was said in an early post...(plus the power cut didn't help ;) )

This in turn could have damaged the battery charging ciruit in the panel :yes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Guest Peter James

cheers, Jatinder

55361[/snapback]

If your a electronics engineer you will be familiar with ohms law, when the battery starts to fail it draws more current than the charging circuit is able to deliver.

A service engineer would of checked your battery regularly, there is a list somewhere on this website of the other 21 or so checks.

Peter

Guest Guest

Peter, I understand the battery failing can damage the charging circuit, what I dont understand is why the charging circuit going faulty then makes the whole panel dead.

The charger circuit should be separate from the microcontroller circuit with maybe only controlling/monitoring lines between them.

I guess the panel may have been designed to NOT run when it detects that the battery state is poor - very bad design or intentional???.

OK, can you answer this, can this panel operate without a battery present?

cheers, Jatinder

I guess if the charger circuit has created a short circuit across the microcntroller I/O then this could potentially cause the CPU to crash.

Guest Peter James

If you remove the battery down power power the system will work (most likely) the dead battery is pulling the system down this is why it is not working.

Replacing the battery may not cure the problem now though, if your battery failed in 89 the charging circuit will not be able to charge a new battery properly, so you will end up with the same problem next time you have a power cut.

Peter

Where abouts are you Jatinder?

I think maybe now might be a good time to have the system looked at properly, its possible the board is damaged? - As pete said power down then up again and leave the back up batt disconnected as it will only cause more damage.

Archived