Security Installer Community

Quality of picture with Baluns

Alexg

Hi there,

What is the quality like using baluns and cat 5 cable compared to using coax?

Planet do a 4 channel balun allowing you to run 4 camereas down 1 cat 5 cable, will the quality be as good as coax? the run is about 35 meters.

Thanks.

<MOD: Title corrected>

Will be exactly the same if not better

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

*Quoted for agreement*

Can't remember the name of the kit / supplier we've used in the past, but it's worked fine on the few we've done to date.

I'm sure I remember one of our Eng's saying up to 300M was ok, but don't hold me to it. :whistle:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Hi there,

What is the quality like using baluns and cat 5 cable compared to using coax?

Planet do a 4 channel balun allowing you to run 4 camereas down 1 cat 5 cable, will the quality be as good as coax? the run is about 35 meters.

Thanks.

54582[/snapback]

Strange this movement to balun. Years ago some CCTV clown from Southport decided to voice his opinion on one of our jobs. You all know how this goes "your installer has wired the entire job in the wrong cable" well this was enough for us not to get paid. So we prepare for court and they use this idiot as their professional witness. During the pre trial disclosure we submit NVT littrature and get the call from the client. He will pay the account plus costs and is sorry.

Jef

Did someone on here mention going self employed?

Customers!

54583[/snapback]

I disagree, at 35mtrs i would doubt you would notice the difference and it certainly wont be any better.

For a 35mtr run it would be more expensive but seeing your considering using cheap chineese stuff maybe not. I would personally only use NVT, its quality kit unlike the cheap stuff.

If your asking my opinion, for 35 mtrs use coax, every time!

Where cat5 and baluns excell is long runs such as 100mtrs+ where you have 3 or more cameras and especially functional domes where you also need a a data pair.

Actually RG59 coax is good for 300mtrs+ but manufactures state 300mtrs to cover their buttocks, in reality you will get a good picture way over that distance before you have to use amplification, and that is using colour cameras.

In fact late last year i fitted 2 VCL domes in a carpark at an ASDA where the cable run was around 350-400mtrs using RG59. The first 250 mtrs was inside the store with the coax and the 3 core .75mm flex carrying 110v to the tranny was run for about 20/30mtrs on a tray with stwa mains cables the size of me wrist.

When the cables went outside they ran in a 4" galv trunking with the carpark lighting singles to the camera positions.

Perfect pictures back at the controls and i havent noticed any degredation since either.

CAT5 and baluns are an excellent option but like most things, where the conditions are right for them. I would personally have chosen CAT5 for the above situation but it was proved to me that its not always the best option.

Im just the subby on these jobs, ask for containment and get told use whats there already.

Anyway my point was to show how much **** a coax will deal with when the situations are less than perfect.

Archived