Security Installer Community

query

Guest wired

Guest wired

Hi again,

doing several installs at the mo on a larg-ish site, came across a cable to the bell with 2 broken cores. Now , as you all know, I can still get the sounder to operate with only 4 cores, minus the strobe, but my problem is this; the sounder is very quiet, not nearly as loud as an adjacent bell. So I was wondering, do you think that another core ( probably +ve) is also nipped somewhere? therfore not letting enough power through to operate the sounder at full strength?

Just as I'm writing this I'm realising a simple resistance measurement across the remaining cores will determine this, doh!!!

Anyway, any input gratefull accepted.

wired

Guest Guest
How far is the bell from the panel??

have you checked how much current the bell is drawing

and what voltage you have at the bell??

53485[/snapback]

The length of the cable is probably 7-9 metres

I have'nt checked how much current it's drawing

there is 11.9v at the bell

Guest Guest
The voltage should be around 13v with the sab charging not sounding, sounds a bit low

53491[/snapback]

I am thinking that if the cable is partly broken it may be causing the volt drop, therfore not sounding properly

Might also be a grounding problem - I have known sabs to take a ground from another path, this results in very quiet operation and maybe also slight bell trigger all the time :(

The length of the run is not you problem

11.9 is a little low is it the same at the panel if so diconnect the bell and check it then. If it changes to 13v ish sounds like a faulty bell , sab.

Have you checked all cores for shorts between them or shorts to earth. As it 2 cores are already down most likley to be problems on the other cores aswell.

Guest Guest

Thing is about this site is that I've inherited it, subbiehave done the wiring/ second fix etc but I'm left with the probs to sort coz I'm the only one with the remotest idea of what to do to sort them. the numpties have been wiring looped PIR's and then onto a door contact??? there goes me tamper loop.

wired

Thing is about this site is that I've inherited it, subbiehave done the wiring/ second fix etc but I'm left with the probs to sort coz I'm the only one with the remotest idea of what to do to sort them. theĀ  numpties have been wiring looped PIR's and then onto a door contact??? there goes me tamper loop.

wired

53499[/snapback]

If the panel supports End Of Line resistors, you might be able to facilitate tamper, but you need the other fault sorting first :(

Archived