Security Installer Community

Quote for an alarm system

Guest brum1969

Guest brum1969

Morning everyone!

I'm moving to a new 4 bed detached house in the West Midlands, and I have received a quote for an alarm from an NSI registered firm.

The system consists of the following:

* Contacts on the front door

* Wireless PIR in hallway

* Wireless PIR in each of the four rooms downstairs

* Wireless PIR on landing

* Wireless contacts for the up & over and personnel doors in the detached garage

* Panic button in master bedroom and near front door.

* Hardwired keypad and alarm box

* Dummy bell boxes on rear and garage

* Scantronic 9751 control panel

* £825.00 ex VAT and £13.25 a month for monitoring and servicing

Few questions:

1) How does the cost of the alarm sound?

2) The reason for using a wireless Class 6 alarm is because of the detached garage. However, they have chosen to use wireless PIRs inside the house as well - is this correct?

3) The monitor price sounds good but for the fact that they wont phone the police unless the panic alarm has been pressed. So this sounds more like a human "phone dialer". Is this the norm?

4) Would I be better off getting the cheaper wireless Scantronic Homelink 75 or Honeywell system with a phone dialer?

Regards

Brum1969

Morning everyone!

I'm moving to a new 4 bed detached house in the West Midlands, and I have received a quote for an alarm from an NSI registered firm.

The system consists of the following:

* Contacts on the front door

* Wireless PIR in hallway

* Wireless PIR in each of the four rooms downstairs

* Wireless PIR on landing

* Wireless contacts for the up & over and personnel doors in the detached garage

* Panic button in master bedroom and near front door.

* Hardwired keypad and alarm box

* Dummy bell boxes on rear and garage

* Scantronic 9751 control panel

* £825.00 ex VAT and £13.25 a month for monitoring and servicing

Few questions:

1) How does the cost of the alarm sound?

2) The reason for using a wireless Class 6 alarm is because of the detached garage. However, they have chosen to use wireless PIRs inside the house as well - is this correct?

3) The monitor price sounds good but for the fact that they wont phone the police unless the panic alarm has been pressed.  So this sounds more like a human "phone dialer".  Is this the norm?

4) Would I be better off getting the cheaper wireless Scantronic Homelink 75 or Honeywell system with a phone dialer?

Regards

Brum1969

52164[/snapback]

1. Sounds very reasonable to me having never seen the premises.

2. No reason why not, it keeps the price down.

3. Not being able to call the police except for PA is complying with your local police force policy. The police will only attend domestic premises, i believe, if there is confirmation of a break in.

4. I doubt it hard to say without seeing the premises. The garage would still be a problem i would think.

Guest brum1969
1. Sounds very reasonable to me having never seen the premises.

2. No reason why not, it keeps the price down.

3. Not being able to call the police except for PA is complying with your local police force policy. The police will only attend domestic premises, i believe, if there is confirmation of a break in.

4. I doubt it hard to say without seeing the premises. The garage would still be a problem i would think.

52172[/snapback]

Ian,

Thanks for your reply!!

I have been told by an installer that the reason why the police will only attend for a PA is because of the wireless PIRs. Apparently, only systems installed with completely wired components can have the police sent out via an ARC. Have you heard of this stipulation?

I'm having another alarm installer come out to do a quote so i'll compare it with my first quote. So far, i believe that the cost of £13.25 pm for monitoring and maintenance is a very good price. Not so sure about the price for the alarm as it sounds a tad high for supply and installation of a wireless system. I thought they would be easier due not having to lay cables!!!

Regards

Brum1969

Guest brum1969
If it class six the Police will respond to the intruder in Sussex.

Maybe the Midlands Police Force doesnt like wireless?

pete

52206[/snapback]

I've now been told that the fact that the alarm is wireless is NOT an issue. If the alarm is class six, the police will issue an id so they can respond to it. The company that wont call the police is probably doing this because it costs more dosh.

Brum1969

Guest brum1969
The company who cant provide a system with police response may not be NSI or SSAIB.

52365[/snapback]

Oh yes they are!

NSI Gold to be exact and I have checked this on the NSI website.

Brum1969

If it class six the Police will respond to the intruder in Sussex.

Maybe the Midlands Police Force doesnt like wireless?

pete

52206[/snapback]

Pete, Are you the Midlands police force! :P

Chubb Service Engineer

Guest brum1969
Dont know why they cant provide police response - unless they are not registered with your local police authority.

52406[/snapback]

STOP THE PRESS!!!

It seems like I had my wires crossed with them. They WILL call the police if they get more than one detection signal - i.e. the intruder is moving around. This is I guess is to stop them calling the police due to a faulty detector.

I guess then that for £13 per month to have my alarm monitored and fully maintained is a very good price indeed.

Regards

Brum1969

Archived