Security Installer Community

Magnetic Door Contact

Guest Bobo

Not all cores will be used to a door contact. One pair may have been joined somewhere for a hall PA button. The cable shouldnt be carrying 12v - but dont quote me on it, you still should be carefull just incase two of the cores are carrying 12v (i.e. dont short them out) - I think you will find two cores for the reed switch, two cores for the tamper and two spare cores.

As stated previously as you mentioned, if you break the red and black and the alarm sounds when not in the test position this probably means there the tamper cores.

The blue and yellow will prob be the switched alarm side (i.e. go to the door contact reed switch terminals).

Dont quote me on this as different companies use different wirring combinations.

The only true way is to remove the panel cover and note the connection colours and where they go - but as said, be carefull, mains voltage inside panel!

I have also seen green and white used as a tamper pair, then the blue/yel = alarm contact, then the red and black would be power for detector pair.

You understand now why no-one on here can say for certain - thats why it needs further investigation as you could blow a fuse in the panel, and/or the pcb itself if the 6-core has 12v on it and you connect it incorrectly.

SUCCESS !! SUCCESS !! SUCCESS !!

Many thanks to Bellman and everybody else.

The solution was as follows......

The yellow + blue was the Reed / Alarm circuit so they connected to each of the two silver screws respectively on both the front & the back door.

The red + black & also the green + white (on the front door, namely the entry/exit door) were the tamper connections so they had to be twisted together and connected to the brass screws.

Nice one.

cheers !! :yes::yes::yes:

SUCCESS !! SUCCESS !! SUCCESS !!

Many thanks to Bellman and everybody else.

Nice one.

cheers !!  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

50601[/snapback]

No worries Geezer,

We try our best

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

• 2 months later...
Hello, I need to replace the door contacts on my front and back door. The FRONT door has 6 different coloured wires (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, White). The BACK door only has 4 different coloured wires (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow). I have bought two new 5 terminal contacts. I need to know which wires go to which contact and which wires in particular are paired together. Thanks.

49371[/snapback]

By the sounds of things i would try wiring them up as follows. the front door contact wiring sounds like the new colour coding method so wire the contact as blue and yellow to each reed contact(silver one) then twist green and white wires together and screw into any of the gold screws. the back door contact sounds like the wires are with the old colour coding method so wire yellow and red to the reed contacts and the black and blue twisted together in the gold screw. good luck as i know i come across both combinations of colour codes all the time.

?????? Er whats the point of giving advice on this situation when the solution has already been found over 2 months ago???

posting springs to mind

Hey monteey this guy is obviosly new to the forum and is not familiar with the way it works yet.

Lets not frighten him off and politely advise him that he has made a mistake eh?

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived